MacBook air v iMac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShrubbySoup, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Hey guys I would like your opinion, I have £1.5k to spend in a new computer :apple: and would like to get a mac, I am stuck with my decisions. Do I get a mac now or wait for the next gen. If I should get one now should I get the iMac 27" with 3.1ghz processor, or the MacBook air 13" 1.8ghz processor?
    I really like the design and the portability of the MacBook air but the iMac is so big and powerful, I might feel like I'm missing out. I am towards the MacBook air, please can I have your feedback, Connor:apple:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ShrubbySoup thread starter macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

I wouldn't mind running a bit of minecraft or messing about with GarageBand, but this is my first mac, so nothing like rendering movies aor sound. Just roaming th Internet etc...

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I too had this dilemma when purchasing my first mac. But instead of iMac vs MBA, it was MBA vs MBP. Despite the allure of the Air, I chose the MBP as it still has better decent specs while still being portable although not as lightweight as the Air is. I got the 2010 model so no quad core for me :(

I think you'd be better off with the Air than with the iMac IMO. It should handle Minecraft or whatever it is you play just fine. Seems like you'd mainly be using it for "normal" stuff so the Air should be just fine. Plus you'll like how it's SUPER portable and lightweight which is a nice bonus.