Macbook Air v/s Macbook Pro for apps developer.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techwoman, Nov 22, 2014.

1. techwoman, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

techwoman macrumors newbie

I have been using Macbook Pro 15" with DVD port model at office for programming and have got quite used to it. But when I looked at it's specifications and checked it on the Apple site, the price is beyond $2000 which is very costly for me right now.

I want to buy a Macbook to make iOS and Android apps so I would definitely be installing Xcode, Eclipse and may be RubyMine too along with other tools. I am confused between Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. I know Air is lighter and has more battery life, but I haven't tried using it so am not sure about it performance wise when it comes to coding or how is it in comparison to Pro.

Also which processor should I go for i5 or i7. For i7, I have to pay $150 more and since the basic model comes with 4GB RAM, I will have to pay more if I go for 8GB or 16GB.

An not much into gaming now, so it would mostly be used for coding, browsing internet and watching movies.

Any other tips?

2. crazzapple Guest

Check the apple refurb store for discounted macbook pros. Personally, I would get one of the refurbished retina mbp, because they display text far superior to the other models; very nice for coding. If you use an external monitor this might not be as important.

3. techwoman thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea if we can add AppleCare on refurb products too? If I plan to buy any Mac/Macbook, it would be my first Apple device so am not sure about the AppleCare. One of my friend is using MacBook Pro since last 2 years without AppleCare and haven't had any issues at all. I might plan to buy AppleCare along with the Apple device as my office mac had got into several issues within 2 years only and the device was sent back to Apple for repairs.

4. techwoman thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind on one of the sites I read that I can add AppleCare on refurb MacBooks too.

5. crazzapple Guest

Also depends on where you live. I believe European folks have a much longer warranty period than US, for example. Something like 3-5 years without having to purchase applecare. I personally did not purchase it and had no problems, but it might be worth it for peace of mind.