MacBook Air versus MacBook 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacGurl111, Mar 20, 2015.

1. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I plan on picking up on the Macbook, however I'm unsure which to pick. I just need it for basic computing and to write. I decided to go with a smaller machine because it's easier to lug around. Carrying the 15 inch and the big charger is no fun! :D

After researching on the Apple site by doing a comparison, I'm still unsure what the major difference is. Basically, the Macbook 2015 is newer, retina display, no ports, and better looking. The Macbook Air has some ports? Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you!

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The new MacBook uses the new Intel Core-M processor that consumes far less power than the processor in the Air. For light processing, it should be fine. It will not be as fast for more processor intensive tasks, which do not include anything you mentioned.

Other than that, you have the lack of ports, and the new keyboard design with larger keys and less travel. It remains to be seen how well that is liked.

3. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thank you. Is that also the reason why it cost much more? I just realized that it's 400.00 more without tax! Ouch!

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think most of that is the cost of the new display, and the new, ultralight design. It does make it a tough sell over the much cheaper Air, which is why so many people are up in arms about the update!

5. Cjshino macrumors regular

its apple's "new" product thats why it costs so high

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    personally I think the new MacBooks will sell like hot cakes, despite the price - I remember the very first MBAir was up over $2.5k here in Australia yet sold like crazy.
    it'll be powerful enough to run all the apps that come preloaded, though whether it'll handle apps like Final Cut Pro or Adobe's offerings remain to be seen.

we won't really know until someone starts running geek bench tests and uses it in actual real life situations, and that'll be sometime after April 10.

given most of my work involves public speaking with Keynote presentations, I'm sure it'll be perfect for that.
    my $2 worth …

7. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thank you for your input. I think it sell! I like the new machine, it's beautiful. The air is great but the screen has a silver frame/boarder around it which I don't like.

8. newellj macrumors 601

Remember that the base rMB comes with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, compared to 4GB RAM and a 128GB SSD in the base MBA models. In reality, the rMB is such a different machine that it's hard to compare on specs or price.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

That's a great point that I had not considered.

A bit odd though that they wouldn't offer it at a lower price point with 128/4GB. Maybe a way or forcing this machine to be a bit future proof. Or Apple just pumping up margins...

10. newellj macrumors 601

Honestly, the pricing is not that bad compared to other MBx products!

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's the key, it's relative. Apple's pricing tiers for RAM/storage bumps are pretty sad... I get the greater capacity models when I need to, and I hold my nose doing it, but bad is bad. :)

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No, it's not, but given the fact that this is a relatively low-powered laptop, that some people will be tempted to pick up as a second unit, for portable duty only, I could see a lot of people picking up a more basic model were it offered.

13. newellj macrumors 601

Yes, not sure what Apple is thinking. The MBA is still the "affordable" entry model - for now. Maybe they wanted to keep it distanced from the 128GB iPads, at least when it's introduced?

14. Abbara macrumors member

I'd get the MBA 13".

Reasons? 3 hours more battery, that's nice especially after years when you get 50% less battery life, the MBA 13's 12h will still get 6h. Better performance (CPU/GPU). Better ports. 1.3" more screen space, for me is the difference between nice-small and too-small. Nicer keyboard (more travel, more space between keys).

Usually better ports isn't a big issue for me, but the MB has 1 port. So if you want to plug in a charger and a screen or keyboard or usb stick, you need to pay $100 extra for a dongle and carry it around. 1 port is a bit too low. Once it gets 2 ports it's alright for me.

Oh and it saves you about $300 - 400.

If you want something smaller than the 13" MBA (it's light and thin but not super small), consider the 11" MBA. You save even more money, and it's still faster than the MB with better ports.

The MB isn't bad, by the way. For your usage any of the two MBAs or the MB will be fine. I just don't think the MB has a lot to offer that the MBA can't for a cheaper price, unless you really want the thinnest possible device and have it be retina and don't mind paying the price.

The MB also gets 8gb and 256gb storage, but for basic usage you don't really need it. And if you need more than basic usage, then the MB's Intel M Core processor is just too weak. Add to that the fact you can get 8gb/256gb on the MBA too without spending more than a MB, and the fact that a MBA has an SD card slot letting you get extra storage thats half as cheap with a nifty device... I don't consider the 8gb/256gb on the base model of the MB to be worth talking about much.

The retina can be a dealbreaker for some, but on a 12" device that gets the same vertical res as an ipad (720p, no joke), a retina screen isn't worth a few hundred bucks and less battery life and all, for me.

15. motrek macrumors 68020

All good points and this one is valid for right now. But USB-C is a standard that I assume will quickly take over everything and instead of being limited to Apple's $79 MagSafe adapters and $79 hubs, I think within a few months we will have a huge number of nice hubs available to us... cheap, small adapters that let us charge a MacBook while also plugging in a monitor and a bunch of other devices too.

The single USB-C port isn't great now but it will be much better in less than a year.

16. Abbara macrumors member

Absolutely agree.

Although I still think you'll have to wait until after the summer until prices really come down. With so few laptops, printers, phones, cameras etc using usb-c, it'll take a while before we get tens of millions of devices in the wild. Even non-Apple vendors are going to squeeze top dollar the first year, until the market is so big that the connectors and cables become a mass manufactured product like e.g. micro usb cables that charge hundreds of millions of Android phones alone.

And I think by then we'll probably have a refreshed MB with 2 ports. So for anyone willing for dongles to become ubiquitous and cheap to use on 1 port, I think you'll get 2 ports around the same time.

17. Idefix macrumors 6502

18. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

19. newellj macrumors 601

If you configure a 13" MBA with 8 gb RAM and a 256 gb SSD, the price is the same. The two machines are different enough that it's hard to compare them on an apples to apples ;) basis, but price alone isn't the reason to choose the MBA.

----------

I also agree on USB-C. Unlike a few prior new new-tech ports, I think this will take off. However, those of us with lots of USB 2 and 3 accessories...optical drives, HDDs, memory sticks, card readers, calibration devices, etc. ...are going to need adapters for years.

And looking at the development history of the MBA strongly suggests that you're right about changes in future rMB models. :rolleyes: Early adopters, buy with your eyes open...I say that a a likely early adopter myself. :eek: :)

20. motrek macrumors 68020

Well, adapters or just a few new cables. You already have to plug in optical drives, hard drives, etc. with cables anyway. It shouldn't be a huge deal to get some cables with USB-C on one end instead of USB-A.

21. newellj macrumors 601

Absolutely, that would also take care of the issue.

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Both the MBA and MB will perform the tasks you have laid out with ease. The big question is whether you are willing to pay the ~$400 premium for the rMB over the 11" MBA. While they may not be apples to apples in terms of what they offer - they will both get the same job done if you see your computer as a tool; nothing more nothing less. Are few tenths of an inch and half a pound worth $400 - only you can answer.

23. newellj macrumors 601

Speaking as a recent former owner of an 11" MBA, if the display doesn't bother you and you don't have a bad case of technolust, the 2014 MBAs are available at great pricing right now and give up almost nothing to the 2015 version. If the display isn't an issue and you want a compact machine, it's a great solution.

Note that the price difference for an 8/256 configuration is only $100, though (comparing Apple prices for 2015 machines; you should be able to get the 2014 version for $100 less than the 2015).

24. Abbara macrumors member

True, they're a bit tricky to compare, but I don't think the point on ram/storage is super important in this particular case.

1) OP wants a device for 'basic computing and to write'. That tells me Facebook, youtube, Netflix, Google, Email, Skype, Word etc.

8gb / 256gb isn't going to be really important for that.

Imagine the MB had 5 million RAM and Storage, and the MBA 4gb / 128gb. I don't think it'd make a big difference for this particular OP.

2) If you do want more performance, then sure you get more memory on the base model, but the CPU is a bunch slower, and it needs to push more pixels. So to say that a MBA needs upgrades for it to perform as well as the MB probably isn't true, it's quite likely the base model MBA will perform better than the MB overall.

3) Even if you want extra RAM (again doesn't look necessary at all for his particular use), it's $100 more. You're still paying $200 less, while getting 2 hours more battery, better CPU/GPU, 1.3" more screen and more travel/space on your keyboard.

4) Storage upgrade, the least important for him it seems, is unnecessary. But if he does need storage, a nifty device or external HD are much cheaper.

I think the base model MBA is more than sufficient for OP, if he needs more then (3) MBA with +4gb upgrade, is the most realistic option which is still $200 cheaper.

I think you'd have to pit that against having a retina screen and a slightly thinner/lighter device. I'd personally prefer an HD 13.3" over a 12" Retina because anything below 13" is just too small for me. And if I then get $200, a better CPU/GPU, better battery and keyboard and better ports, I'm happy.

Looking forward to a possible "14 MB retina that's the same size as the 13.3". That'd be awesome.

25. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thanks for this. By the way, it's a "her." LOL! :p:eek::p