Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm3243

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
I opened up my macbook this morning and everything was fine, but mid-way through a zoom meeting, the verticle lines and horizontal lines on the bottom appeared out of nowhere. I got this laptop 2 months ago, I haven't dropped it or anything like that. I tried doing the command, shift, p, and r method but that didn't work and idk what to do so someone please help!:(
Unknown.jpeg

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Probably a bad screen, you may need to get it replaced. These are rarely software problems, if you reset the PRAM/NVRAM and/or see the lines on the boot screen, your screen is most likely bad.

Kryshia

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
I have a 15inch Mac Pro that is only 4 years old. Overnight it developed horizontal quivering lines across. Followed all the procedures via Apple help. Didn't expect a fault that Apple is saying will cost £600+ to repair as its past their warranty. During my discussions with them was told by their own team that it shouldn't have happened. Hopeful that Apple would repair the problem at their expense as the computer has obviously an inherent fault and after such a short time is of an unsatisfactory quality. Discovered that a problem has been accepted with the 13inch by Apple but due to not enough people contacting them on their Product Feedback page they are not accepting this as a known fault on the 15inch. The genius team at the Apple store acknowledged my computer being in very good condition so the problem not of my making but a fault in the system of the computer. Has anyone had a similar problem?

chrrissss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
UK
I can beat that, I have a 15 month old m1 MacBook Air, had very little use it’s in a protective hard case never been dropped, opened it the other night and it had weird lines down the left hand side I initially thought some of the open windows had frozen , turned it off , restarted it now it seems the screen has broken , spoke to apple was asked if I’d dropped or knocked it just out of warranty, pretty annoyed to say the least .

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I can beat that, I have a 15 month old m1 MacBook Air, had very little use it’s in a protective hard case never been dropped, opened it the other night and it had weird lines down the left hand side I initially thought some of the open windows had frozen , turned it off , restarted it now it seems the screen has broken , spoke to apple was asked if I’d dropped or knocked it just out of warranty, pretty annoyed to say the least .
What an annoyance. They shouldn’t be ignoring defective screens. It happens often without user involvement. Wires likely got pinched or bent enough to damage them. Sometimes screens just die like that on their own too. Keep pressing the issue with them, take it to an Apple Store if you have the chance to. I‘ve heard sometimes it takes multiple contacts for issues to be escalated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.