MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro - College

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pjr17, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Pjr17, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

after reading your usage, notes, etc ... i would definitely recommend the air. it seems like it will suit your needs better plus you have the imac at home.

seems like the better choice for you imo. it should last you a long time considering the build quality.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I see absolutely no need to go for the MBP instead of MBA. Any Mac made within the last 5 years should be capable of the tasks you mentioned, thus MBA should be fine for those tasks.

4. blackbinary macrumors member

stick with the macbook air for your usage, it will be snappy because of the ssd, and has the nice screen resolution and weight.

That said, i'd wait until they refresh the line, which should be happening around the time lion is released.

5. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

MBA for your needs. Of course unless you want more CPU power then go to a MBP.

6. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

The refreshed MBA will be more than enough for 4 years. Though the larger and higher resolution screen of the MBP15 has its benefits. But for a portable computer for going to class the Air is second to none in my opinion.

7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Just thought I'd point out, a buddy of mine has an MBA and she utterly hates it. You think MBPs are hot and unsuitable for use on your lap? Just wait until you've tried the Air.

8. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Never heard of anyone complaining how hot the MBA get.

9. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Doe she have a current air or the old body style?

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

For me, no optical drive is a deal killer on the MBA. I am getting ready to buy a MacBook Pro to use in graduate school and getting the pro because of the lack of optical drive. I know that I can use an external drive, but I don't want to have to number one purchase another device to make my computer usable for me or number two to have to carry around the external drive everywhere I go. Just one more thing to think about, if you don't care about having an internal optical drive to rip CDs and DVDs, then I'd get the air.

11. letsgo1010 macrumors newbie

Just remember, in order to use the internet, most colleges use an ethernet card. If you get the MBA then you also have to get an adapter that plugs into the USB. If you get teh MBP than you don't have to worry about this issue.
    My vote is to go with the MBA and get the adapter.

12. islanders macrumors 6502

You really can't expect any computer to last 5 years. It most likely will but may need some repairs or might not last that long or it may not be up for the task at the time.

For me it was between the 13 MBP and MBA. I went with a new MBP 13 that was $1079 with a discount.

The MBA would also be a good value for about $1300 for the 13 and 4 GB Ram and $100 discount.

You will be saving $600-$700 towards your next computer in the event you need something else in 2-4 years.

I really liked the MBP 13 and Apple Store rep told me to return it if I didn't like the screen. I returned a 15'' hi res anti glare. I won't be missing the constant font resizing either for the hi def.

Of course only you can tell if it's right for you, good luck and enjoy!

13. tombubi macrumors regular

Lets wait for the new airs to come out and see!!