Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro (Non-Retina)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thinkinblue613, Sep 18, 2012.

1. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask whether a MBA 11 or 13 (customized) can handle Autocad and Adobe programs. The smaller form factor and portability is why I am considering this. I have an external monitor for when I'm at home.

If not, the MBP Hi-Res Anti-Glare (non retina) will be loaded with an SSD and more RAM. I know this will work, but if the MBA can do it, then I'd rather go with that.

I know there isn't a dedicated video card on the MBA, I am curious to see your opinions before I decide to shell out $2000+.

Also, feel free to mention any alternatives. Whether it be a PC or Mac. Thanks!

2. CatsTide macrumors 6502

I would go with the Air and upgrade the ram and,cpu and SSD. You have to do this at the time of purchase. They are not user upgradable.

3. wethackrey macrumors 6502

I'm curious why you excluded the retina display from consideration.

4. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I excluded the Retina Macbook Pro due to it's price and lack of upgradability. As much as I would like to get that, the MBA's form factor and the MBP hi res anti glare has more value and specs other than the screen resolution.

If I get the MBA, I can still upgrade it to a beast and come out as equivalent to the base model rMBP.

And I prefer a laptop with the silver bezel on the side of the screen.

5. jonathanlaniado macrumors member

After that comment, I expect you to figure out by yourself which Mac to get. The answer is at the tip of your tongue.

6. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I agree. I'm being indecisive about this whole ordeal.

7. jonathanlaniado macrumors member

I have the Air. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The Pro is going to run Autocad a lot better than any Air will. And will retain expandability while the Air is a dead end.

9. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Well that's fair enough. I've used anti-glare 17" MBPs for a few years now. I just recently converted to a MBP Retina and am wildly happy with it. The display has nearly as little reflection as my 17" matte finish and is much crisper. But I do understand the trade off.

10. nickmdf macrumors newbie

MBA Ultimate vs upcoming MBP 13" Retina

So this thread begs the question: what do people here think is going to make the upcoming MBP 13" Retina differentiate itself from an MBA Ultimate? Just the retina screen? I am going to be needing to buy something in November, assuming the MBP 13" Retina is out by then.