MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro (opinions)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jezthomp, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Jezthomp macrumors member

So i've had my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008) since then, when they first came out; think they were the first unibodies cannot remember now...

Anyway its still going strong but i am starting to think about investing in a new one, well saving up for one.

My current spec is 2.53GHz 4GB Ram 250GB HDD.

Is the MacBook Air still quicker than the new MacBook Pros?

I read it was in real world scenarios regardless of the spec difference before the new MBP's but wondered if it was still the case?

How is this the case, solely down to the SSD?

Would having a smaller SSD mean it wasn't as quick, would you need a large one?

Could save some bucks getting a 4GB Ram 250SSD MBA rather than a new MBP i suppose...

Being a web developer i use Photoshop, Illustrator, Espresso, Transmit etc and a few other bits and bobs, but its never heavy photo or video work; i'm not sure i use the full capacity of the MBP? I do run VMware Fusion for Windows environment site testing.

Play films through Plex, listen to iTunes then the normal day to day browsing and mail.

I dont envision doing much upgrade, i've not upgraded my MBP since i got it, rather than a failed attempt to get an SSD working.

So would an Air be powerful enough to do these tasks and be fast and Apple agree?

Finally.. last me as well, my MBP is still fine almost 3 years later, just a little slower...

Thanks for any opinions :)

2. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

3. Robin Chung macrumors member

Robin Chung

Macbook Air feels more like the future. Fast, take it everywhere, always ready. But for Pros (which is the machine's name...) that want to do 3D, edit video etc. there's no replacement for the powerhouse that :apple: offers today.

4. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Read my thread "Macbook Air Ultimate: feasible as my SOLE working machine?" here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102841

I'm also a web developer (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, FTP, Flash, etc), and yes the MBA Ultimate has proven more than enough for my working needs.

5. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Dont click on the subject line and read it....problem solved

6. Ravenwolf40 macrumors newbie

7. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

How does that solve anything thanks for the pointless comment

Anyways go answer your question the MacBook air is extremely underestimated

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

9. 2IS Suspended

How does that solve the problem of this question being asked multiple times a week?

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If you want to see duplicated questions, check out the iPad forum.

11. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Well look at the first page of this forum do you not notice a pattern? Every third thread is asking this

12. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for the input, i didn't read any other reads but will do so now :)

13. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Why trade a C2D for another C2D Mac (a slower one, too)? Either get the current quad-core MBP or wait for the Sandy Bridge MBA update.
    Or you can save some $$$ by just swapping in an SSD (<$200 USD).

14. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Its not slower unless all you ever do is Handbrake and Cinebench. :rolleyes:

Late '08 MBP 2.53 -> 13" MBA Ultimate here = :D :apple:

15. Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

The only stable SSD is an intel one, been through Vertex and OWC expensive buying sending back then eventually selling when it doesnt work.

The late 08 MBP was not designed for SSD unless from Apple imo.

When is the Sandybridge update for the Air due in the summer?

I was never planning n buying one now, i was just seeing what could be achieved.

16. idunn macrumors 6502

Some considerations

AnandTech provides some good information on the new MacBook Pros. But not only can one gain an understanding of their merits in relation to earlier models, but this site as well for the MacBook Air, if searching for those articles. In total one should have a better appreciation of how each of these computers might best fit your needs:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge

For light work the MacBook Air will generally be more responsive than the new MacBook Pros, due its SSD, and importantly, architecture balancing all facets well. The inclusion of an SSD in a MBP negates much of this advantage, and they remain the more powerful computers.

For more intensive work the MBP line will prove substantially faster. Photoshop could be a good case in point: while it will run fine on the MBA, it will complete tasks faster on the MBP. So will one be using it occasionally, or looking at their watch if running batches of raw photos consistently?

In overall speed and ease some solid reasons in opting for an SSD over an HDD. If an MBA, then of course this decided, and only the question of what size. In the MBP, there would be some reasons to consider the SDD installed from Apple. It will work, and warrantied if not. Thus far some third party SSDs have had issues with Apple products; there is anecdotal evidence that Apple has only made an effort to insure that their SSDs work well. Apple SSDs may be mid-range in performance, and others can work well and even faster, so the question if one wishes to mess with this. But a decided performance plus having an SSD from anyone.

Particularly since the introduction of the Sandy Bridge CPU in the MBP, the divide from the MBA in processing speed has widened. If, as seems likely, this processor adopted next in the MBA, then a decided improvement in performance, save possibly slight degradation in graphics, as suffered in the 13" MBP. This could make the MBA all the more compelling for those finding it largely capable enough today. But as now, its strengths will likely remain elsewhere, with the MBP still the more powerful. If waiting for the next MBA upgrade, a fair chance it will come by early 2012. The more hopeful would see an introduction in June of this year, and while that possible, if 2011 then October might be the better bet. As always, no one but Apple knows.

If portability is an issue, then one might seriously consider the MBA. If raw horsepower is a requirement, the the MBP, even the the 13", the better choice, although for really intensive tasks the new higher-end 15" MBP a good choice. Somewhere in the middle? Then more the intangible of what one loves best.

17. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

18. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

The current C2D has a faster bus and more cache than the older ones so despite the difference in ghz they are probably the same speed or the MBA even a little faster. Not to mention SSD and other bus type improvements.

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Really? :rolleyes:

Couldn't disagree more. SB could be June 2012 just as easily as June 2011 - the MBP's have some catching up to do first as far as design is concerned long before Apple's going to be dropping SB in MBA's !!

Further, the MacBook Air is a thin, light, fun, powerful little machine, why discourage that experience? I've had every size of MBP and the MBA is my choice every time unless I need more mobile screen real estate then the 17" wins of course.

I sure don't care much for the 13" MBP's, put SB in there or whatever you want, it's not the same experience you get from the 13" MBA in many ways.

20. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

So many comments just the same....every third thread of a third thread replys the same...

21. valh macrumors newbie

I switched from high-end MBP to MBA

Here is a more detailed write-up, but bottom line: go for it. Yesterday. It is faster, no heat. All my stuff ran.

22. Jezthomp, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Jezthomp thread starter macrumors member

In black and white does anyone know how close a fully specced new MBA gets to which model MBP?

You could have a 8GB ram in a MBP as well as the dvd drive.

Also questionable speeds through the ethernet adaptor.

I'm surprised people are so quick to move to MBP.

Any further articles like the one above, interesting as it is.