Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro Screen - And overall usage...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blanco.juanfeli, Sep 9, 2012.

1. blanco.juanfeli macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

You are probably tired of comparisons between the Air and the Pro, but I have a question that might change my decision. I been trying yo decide between the 13'' Air and the 13'' Pro. I love the speed of the Air, but the lack of upgradability is making me doubt. The Pro´s extra processing power is nice, and the avility to upgrade essential components like ram and hard drive is a big deal for me. I can´t really justify spending $1200 dollars on a laptop with a 5,400RPM HDD and a 1280 by 800 screen. I don't know if the low res will become a problem in the near future, when programs (and maybe even the OS) require a higher-res screen.

Could the low-res screen become a problem later on with some programs?

BTW: I'm a student, not planning to use any editiong software, other than iMovie or Avid Sudio, very light use. I will use Office and iWork regularly and surf the Web. It will also be nice to use Parallels, to run Windows 8, but there is the option to use Bootcamp. Lately I have been considering the base-line 11'' Air, I like the portability and storage isn't really an issue for me, as I always carry an external hard-drive and have lots of cloud storage.

Could you also recommend a specific configutarion? Considering my needs.

THANKS!!

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It sounds like an Air would suite your needs fine.

I don't think you will run into anything that "requires" a higher resolution screen than the 13" MBP, it's just that some things (like video editing) might feel a bit cramped.

Really the 13" MBP and 11" Air have basically the same amount of screen real estate, just in slightly different aspect ratios.

The 13" Air is where you see the real resolution bump, it has the same resolution as the normal 15" Macbook Pro. The base 13" also gets you a 128GB hard drive, whereas the base Air only has 64GB. That will fill up very quickly if you start doing video work and try to install Windows.

If you do get an Air, you may want to upgrade the RAM to 8GB. It's a relatively cheap option considering that it's something that you can never upgrade yourself.

3. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

If you don't mind the size and weight of a 15" MacBook Pro, and don't mind buying used, you should consider that as well. You can buy a used 2011 for around $1200, same as a new 13" MacBook Pro or Air. You'll have the higher resolution screen, and the upgradability factor.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The other piece to consider is that the screen in the Pro is a higher quality one than that in the Air. The Pro offers noticeably better color accuracy and viewing angle, and is easier to look at for extended periods of time. The screen on the Air is comparatively washed out, and coupled with things being smaller due to the slightly higher resolution, can be less pleasant to use over an extended period of time.

Also, if you're going to run Parallels, the Pro is a hands-down better choice - it's faster, and you can upgrade RAM and storage yourself, whereas the Air is (officially) a closed, non-upgradable system.

Ultimately, I'd suggest you go to an Apple store and look at them side by side. I've seen too many people save thousands of dollars by upgrading RAM or storage when their laptop starts to feel "slower" to be comfortable with a totally closed machine. in an iPad, that's fine. In a laptop, I don't think it is.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Even though the resolution on te Air is better, the color gamut and viewing angles on the Pro are better.

Also add 16GB RAM and an SSD to the Pro and it will run circles around the Air.

Both are great however.

6. noteple macrumors 65816

Leaning toward an 11" Air is Apples and oranges compared to the 13" Pro.

I would personally go with a 13" Air for the extra screen real estate.
    The Air has enough processing power but I would try to get the extra RAM up front. The SSD in the Air does add to the feeling of performance.

Trying to add Air components like SSD to a Pro may be more than you would like to spend.

By the time you might be outgrowing it, the Air should retain enough value to be a nice stepping stone when you sell it toward your next platform.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No, it adds performance. Literally.