MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Evnn, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Evnn macrumors newbie

Hi!

Last week I bought my first MacBook Air 13,3" - 1,8ghz - 2GB RAM - 128GB
    I was actually going to get the 4GB RAM on it but they didnt have it in stock, and I didnt feel like waiting a week to get it. So I went with the 2GB RAM, which I kinda regret now, because I will probably be using this MacBook for about 4-5 yrs and I have a feeling that it will last longer the better specs it has.

So, 4GB ram is only a 100$ more.. Twice as much storage space, 4gb ram, 2,13ghz procesor is only 500$ more. Is it worth it? Should I return this MacBook and go with the high end MBA? (A total of 1799$) Or should I go with the MacBook PRO, in that case, which one?

I know I really do not need a super macbook, I only use it for school (Im a student), some light video editing (recorded with iphone4), watching movies, facebook, and maybe play some Call of Duty once in a while, which I by the way know the MacBook Air can handle easily.

SO, which one should I go with? I like the portability with my MacBook Air, and the fact that it is newly updated with flash drive and stuff is pretty much the reason why I went with the MBA.

I know that there is a lot of similar threads like this, but i couldnt fint anyone in the same booth as me that could answer my question so i really need some help here guys :-D

Any help is really appreciated!

2. dcoux09 macrumors member

You should have 4gbs of Ram. It really is the industry standard; you can probably get by on 2, but if you do plan on using iPhoto/iMovie on a semi-regular basis, then you need 4 gigs. I have 4, and with a lot of windows open (since your a student, I'm assuming you'll have a lot of word docs open at once... I sure do) and iPhoto open at the same time (even for brief moments), your machine clearly slows a little. If you do plan on having the computer for 4/5 years, you definately want 4 gigs.

Air or Pro? I'd get the 13 inch Pro. I think the new air's are pretty cool, but I think practically and price wise, the Pro is the best bet. More storage, 4 gigs, BACK-LIT KEYBOARD, and it's only roughly 2 pounds heavier, so it's still super portable. It also seems like kinks are still being worked out with the new airs too. Plus 4 years from now when all notebooks have flash storage, you can upgrade with that 600 dollars you'd save. Don't forget to bring your Student ID for a discount. The air may seem like the best bet now because they are new and trendy, but the limitations on it (lack of backlighting, optical drive mainly) are enough for you to go with the Pro. I think in 4 years, optical drives will be gone and software will be installable online or though flash drives, but for the time being the do play a big role and are nice to have.

3. fd9, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

fd9 macrumors newbie

As it stands now, I would argue that a 13" Air is a much better value then a 13" Pro. The 13" Air will be faster (twice as much L2 cache + SSD), lighter, and has a better screen (less reflective + higher resolution). So if you're buying today, the Air wins hands down. However you should really ask yourself if you need the extra 128GB of storage and processor upgrade.

On the other hand, a MBP refresh is probably just a few months away, at which point it is likely that the Pro will be more "bang for the buck". But that could be anywhere from Feb - April.

4. Evnn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

Thanks a lot, I actually just got the MacBook Pro 15", 4GB RAM, 320GB HD and the 2,4Ghz i5 Processor.

It kinda feels a bit heavy compared to my MacBook Air I returned yesterday tho. I payed 1799 for the MBP and i could have gotten the MBA 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash HD and 2,13Ghz for the same price.

Im not sure if I really want the MBP.. Return or keep? Its up to u guys :p

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're really putting an important decision regarding a LOT of money on a bunch of faceless strangers around the world who have no real knowledge of your needs, wants, preferences, etc?

Wow. I must be misunderstanding something.

In case I'm not, I'd suggest sitting with a pen & paper and making three columns: Need, Want, Nice-to-Have. Put the activities you'll be using a laptop for under the appropriate column. Web & email and class work would be under Need. Specific games you'll play might be under Want. Extreme portability might be Want or Nice-to-Have. Lots of CPU power might be either as well.

In the end, this info should help guide your choice in what you choose to do.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely.

To the OP, I suggest that you decide what you need, and separate it from what you merely want, or would like.

From what I can see, the new 13" MBA seems to offer a good combination of power, portability and function. But it's your choice.

For my part, I have a 15" MBP, - which I have travelled abroad with - and I recently added a 13" MBA (Rev C with SSD) because I travel a lot, and portability matters to me.

cheers

7. Evnn thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I went with the 15" PRO guys. Thanks for all the help :)

I was trying to exchange it for the high-end MBA, but the Apple guy were such a douche about it. Worst customer service ever.. Almost made me throw the whole god damn MBP in his face!

Anyways, so far so good.

Evnn

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Here's some advice: Grow up, and get your head out of your ass.

9. Mac Composer macrumors member

I don't understand people who buy a new Mac, 'cause it's new, then want to get rid of it the next week. What kind of idiot buys a computer with a configuration that you don't want, because they can't wait a week. Then you ask anonymous people on a forum what to buy.

Then you all the Apple sales man a douche.

Look in the mirror if you want to see a douche bag.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

+1 why make a $1000+ purchase and not be happy with it because you didn't want to wait?

11. Perdification macrumors regular

Apple has one of the best customer service, stop slamming them! I think you're already very lucky given the fact that they'd change it for you, if you had bought from other brands, you'll never get service like that.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you reach out to us everyday ... we will also help you decide what to wear.

for tomorrow morning ... avoid the turtleneck sweater ... they have never looked good. :cool:

13. applepearpp macrumors regular

you should really have the 4gb ram. it's more future proofing as well as better performance on a lot of tasks. try returning/exchanging it even if you need to pay apple a little bit. if you really want a computer that lasts 4-5 years, i think you need a little more investment

as for storage, if you're using a lot of static data (photo albums, music albums, movies, back up, etc), get an 2tb external hard drive. if you need to pull some data up very often, such as photo editing, music production, etc., think about getting a bigger SSD. however, i don't imagine you doing that as MBA is not really meant for such tasks.