Macbook Air vs rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Soccer5se, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Soccer5se macrumors member

Oct 21, 2011
    South Korea
    I am trying to sell this idea to my wife so any advice would be great!!

I am looking at getting the 13' Macbook Air with the upgraded Processor and upgraded Ram or the basic rMBP

The biggest difference for me is the price. Here in Korea I can get the upgraded 13' Air for 2200. The rMBP basic starts at 2890.

I've had my current Macbook White since 2006. So I will have to use this new notebook for a similar amount of time.

The only big program I really use is Garageband for podcasting.

So is it worth it to go all out for the rMBP or will the Air last me for 5-6 years?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    For casual usage either machine can last you 5-6 years. Whether it "will" or not is a different story.
  3. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Feb 28, 2012
    United States
    Well said.

I think most things can last a "long" time if taken care of properly. In your case, even an iPad can run Garageband easily. So I would say just settle with the MBA unless you feel the price difference between the two isn't too out of budget.
  4. recharge23 macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Seoul, South Korea
    Hi Rich from South Korea,

I'm also a Richard living in Seoul. Moved here from the states about a month ago. Anyway, I'm in a similar position. I have an '07 black macbook and needed a new computer so I went with the RMBP base with 16GB of ram. Thankfully I have a friend coming to visit in a week or so, so I purchased it from the us apple store and had it shipped to him. After the education discount and a few gift cards laying around, I paid around $2050.

Any chance u can do the same?