Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
[/COLOR]Without Apple...we had no tablet , no thinners laptops...god i think in 2014 we still would have floppy disks and optical drive and nokia 1100, and no sharper displays

Absolutely ridiculous, go worship Apple some more.

SchlepNT

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Very jealous. Is it just MS stores that are getting the demo units tomorrow or will Best Buy as well?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Best Buy should have them today.

I didn't even consider them. I worked right next door to one, I'll have to pop in and see if they have them to play with on my lunch hour. Otherwise I'll hit my local MS store after work - that is always busy and tough to get at a tablet with so many people so BB is my best bet.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
I didn't even consider them. I worked right next door to one, I'll have to pop in and see if they have them to play with on my lunch hour. Otherwise I'll hit my local MS store after work - that is always busy and tough to get at a tablet with so many people so BB is my best bet.

Just to give you affirmation, or not... My local Best Buy did not have them. I used to work for Best Buy, and I can tell you that when Plano changes, no one really cares...sadly even for a major release like the Surface Pro 3.

My local Best Buy is also undergoing major renovations for Magnolia Design Center and Pacific Sales, and that could contribute to the lack of attention to the Surface Pro 3.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the update, I'm probably going to be heading to the MS store once I get out of work.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Ive been in 3 best buys and Denver microsoft the past two days and no one cares about this product.

Best Buy employees don't care about anything in general, but receiving a paycheck. There are very few passionate Best Buy employees.

I find it hard to believe that no one in the Denver Microsoft store cares about the Surface Pro 3, which will easily be the best selling hardware device for Microsoft.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm back from the MS store and I am very impressed. Its a solid tablet. The screen is very good the performance from what I was able to discern was good. I was able to put play around a bit with it.

I'll have to mull things over further to see if this fits my needs any better then what I currently have.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
There must be a few others in this thread who do also, as they've already got so much experience with it ;)
If you have a Surface Pro or a Surface Pro 2 you have about 90% of the experience with the Surface Pro 3. The differences between the 3 generations isn't all that much so it's just minor details (in case of the Surface Pro 3 it mostly comes down to the pen, display and kickstand levels). It's like a MBA 2010 or 2011 or 2012 owner commenting on the 2013 version. Not much difference there either.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
If you have a Surface Pro or a Surface Pro 2 you have about 90% of the experience with the Surface Pro 3. The differences between the 3 generations isn't all that much so it's just minor details (in case of the Surface Pro 3 it mostly comes down to the pen, display and kickstand levels). It's like a MBA 2010 or 2011 or 2012 owner commenting on the 2013 version. Not much difference there either.

I own a Surface Pro 2, and I am not upgrading to the Surface Pro 3 because I want to learn how to develop for iOS, but I would have if that wasn't my main goal.

I believe the screen, size/weight, and pen would be enough for me to upgrade from a Surface Pro 2. Also, the charging dock has Thunderbolt in it, and that is actually quite the mystery. I believe it's being used for the dock, but someone could make an adapter to allow users to run external GPUs or faster storage options.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Also, the charging dock has Thunderbolt in it, and that is actually quite the mystery. I believe it's being used for the dock, but someone could make an adapter to allow users to run external GPUs or faster storage options.
I can't find the article but this has been debunked. Also, someone pointed out that one should ask the question why on earth they'd use the power connector for this when the Thunderbolt connector is the same as the mini-DisplayPort connector which the Surface Pro's use for display out. This could be Microsoft's dock port connection of some sort.

It's speculation anyway since all that has been said was "take a closer look at the power port". Some did and saw more pins in the port than on the connector. There is a good discussion about this going on at wpcentral.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Best Buy employees don't care about anything in general, but receiving a paycheck. There are very few passionate Best Buy employees.

I find it hard to believe that no one in the Denver Microsoft store cares about the Surface Pro 3, which will easily be the best selling hardware device for Microsoft.

Not employees, buyers. No buyers were even touching them. I actually was on the fence and was about to order. I am glad that I played with it and tried to type a paragraph. The keyboard is horrible because the keys touch each other. I need a keyboard with breaks between keys.its a great attempt and a lot of heart went into, it's just not for me.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Not employees, buyers. No buyers were even touching them. I actually was on the fence and was about to order. I am glad that I played with it and tried to type a paragraph. The keyboard is horrible because the keys touch each other. I need a keyboard with breaks between keys.its a great attempt and a lot of heart went into, it's just not for me.

Uneducated consumers don't know what they want until someone shows then.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I think there's a huge difference between the Surface Pro and the Surface Pro3. The performance, the battery, the screen, size and weight. I can see maybe a comparison between the SP2 and SP3 coming out to be about 90% of each other since its using the same chipset but not between the SP and SP3.

additionally, they opted for 3:2 aspect ratio is which many people are claiming is superior then 16:9. I've not used either the SP/SP2 so I cannot comment on that too much.

I wanted to highlight the fact that there is a large difference between the first ten and 3rd gen.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I think there's a huge difference between the Surface Pro and the Surface Pro3. The performance, the battery, the screen, size and weight. I can see maybe a comparison between the SP2 and SP3 coming out to be about 90% of each other since its using the same chipset but not between the SP and SP3.
I disagree with that completely. The difference between the SP2 and SP3 is much bigger than the difference between SP1 and SP2. The SP2 solves 2 problems the SP1 had and is more like a SP1.1. Battery life was the main thing, the kickstand another. And that's it really. The SP3 has more changes but more importantly, more substantial changes.

The display changes a lot as well as the new kickstand and the pen. Those changes may not always be a positive one. The display is now bigger which means the entire device is bigger. The display ratio may not work for you (some really like the 16:9 ratio). They use a new pen technology which seems to work fine for writing but it remains to be seen if it works fine with other things like drawing. You've also lost the option to use a different pen (Wacom Bamboo Feel for example) and the option to "click" it to the tablet for storage (you need the cover to do that which gives you a loop; unfortunately pen loops are really annoying for storing pens).

There have been some good changes in the SP2 and SP3 to set it apart from the previous version(s)....but only for new users who want the latest and greatest. Those who already have one have little reason to upgrade and those who are looking for a great deal will look at the older versions. The main thing to note here is that it doesn't matter if you get the SP1, 2 or 3 since all three of them are very good Windows devices. They all run the same operating system and they all have the same feature set. The actual hardware is the only thing that is different and the differences are small. That's why any Surface Pro user can compare his device to any of the other Surface Pro's.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Anyone who says that they are going to be productive using the touch cover is not only blind but also a liar. That cover has its limits and it's about 2 paragraphs. If you need a laptop running windows then get a ultra book with a real keyboard that's not too heavy with ports on the screen or a MacBook air/retina. If you want a tablet then get a tablet, they range from$100 all the way up to $929. This thing just isn't good at anythin,g or bad at anything, and that's not what people should settle for.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I disagree with that completely. The difference between the SP2 and SP3 is much bigger than the difference between SP1 and SP2.
I'm not comparing the SP against the SP2, but rather addressing your comment of
If you have a Surface Pro or a Surface Pro 2 you have about 90% of the experience with the Surface Pro 3

So you stated that a SP owner has 90 percent of the experience of a SP3 user and I believe that is wrong

Surface Pro:
Battery Surface Pro gets about 4 hours (as reviewed by cnet)
Processor Intel Core i5-3317U
GPU Intel HD4000
Kickstand - pops out does not adjust
Screen 1920 x 1080 pixels 16:9 aspect ratio.
Screen size 10"

Surface Pro 3.
Battery life: 9 hours (as mentioned in zdnet)
Process: Haswell i5-4300U processor
GPU Intel HD4400 or the HD5000 for the i7
Kickstand multi-position kickstand to adjust to a users needs
screen 2160x1440 3:2 aspect ration
Screen size 12"

So in comparing the SP against the SP3, there's a huge difference. You can debate if SP2 users have 90% of the experience of the SP3, but you cannot state as you did your post that the SP owners do.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not comparing the SP against the SP2, but rather addressing your comment of

So you stated that a SP owner has 90 percent of the experience of a SP3 user and I believe that is wrong

Surface Pro:
Battery Surface Pro gets about 4 hours (as reviewed by cnet)
Processor Intel Core i5-3317U
GPU Intel HD4000
Kickstand - pops out does not adjust
Screen 1920 x 1080 pixels 16:9 aspect ratio.
Screen size 10"

Surface Pro 3.
Battery life: 9 hours (as mentioned in zdnet)
Process: Haswell i5-4300U processor
GPU Intel HD4400 or the HD5000 for the i7
Kickstand multi-position kickstand to adjust to a users needs
screen 2160x1440 3:2 aspect ration
Screen size 12"

So in comparing the SP against the SP3, there's a huge difference. You can debate if SP2 users have 90% of the experience of the SP3, but you cannot state as you did your post that the SP owners do.

Totally agree. SP2 to a 3 is a huge upgrade, and even bigger from a SP1 to 3.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Anyone who says that they are going to be productive using the touch cover is not only blind but also a liar. That cover has its limits and it's about 2 paragraphs. If you need a laptop running windows then get a ultra book with a real keyboard that's not too heavy with ports on the screen or a MacBook air/retina. If you want a tablet then get a tablet, they range from$100 all the way up to $929. This thing just isn't good at anythin,g or bad at anything, and that's not what people should settle for.

I've typed many papers on my Surface Pro 2, and many papers on my MacBook Air. I notice very little difference between "keyboard fatigue".

So I do not know what you are saying, as my personal experience completely contradicts what you claim.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I use both a surface pro 2 and an 11in Air.

If you do a LOT of typing in bed or on your lap then I would say the Air is better. If you do it mostly at a desk or table, or while walking around, or writing notes. Then I say the surface.

It is really for what fits your needs best.

Also if you have an OS preference then that dictates what you use.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also if you have an OS preference then that dictates what you use.
This goes a long way as well. I prefer OSX, but to be honest, I work in windows and I use Office more then anything so a windows machine in my case as certain advantages even though my proclivity is towards OSX

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I just don't know about all the hype with the SP3. If you buy the mid range one with I5/ 8gb /256/ and get the keyboard cover before tax you hit the $1430 mark. The same configuration with the Dell Venue Pro 11 with a keyboard and pen can be purchased New on the Dell Outlet site for $875 or $500 less in price. How much better must it be for $500? Then You look at a Macbook Air and the comparable 11" / 4gb / 256 would be $1099 or $330 less.

I have played with the SP3 at a local Microsoft store and even though it is nice it isn't great. You have to watch the windows button on the right side and the pen had some lag to it. I agree it is very sturdy and feels nice but I still question the price. Myself I would go for the Macbook Air but to each his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.