Macbook Air w/ Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ballso, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Ballso macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm in the market for an 11" Macbook Air as from next year I'll be travelling quite a lot. However, I just wondered if it's likely that the Air will go to a retina display any time soon?

I know it was recently updated, and there is a refurb machine from the latest refresh available that's caught my eye so I may well get that. But I just wondered whether it was in the pipeline, or is a 13" MBP w/ retina the next thing in line, do you think?

I'm not really a techy guy, so I'm not up on whether a retina display will be possible for an 11" display, or whether it'll bulk things a bit more, or even whether Apple are even considering going this way or keeping it for the MBP (pro) machines. Just wanted to get some feedback really, as if something was in the pipeline I could afford to wait it out and see. If not, then I will most likely jump in and get the refurb model I've seen.

Cheers in advance,
    Lee

2. Commenter macrumors member

Is seems highly unlikely that the MacBook Airs will be refreshed before around April of next year, and it's entirely possible that it'll be June, July, or even later. It's possible they'd give them Retinas then, but they certainly could keep them non-Retina (especially if a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display is released only a few months before).

I personally would advice you not to wait for something that could or could very well not happen, if/when you need it. See the many people waiting for a 2012 iMac in that section of this forum for a sense of the pain for people who've been waiting months upon months.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    Retina display is for the Pro line.
    Air is consumer (entry-level) line

never the twain shall meet.

bite the bullet and move up to a MBPro.
    15" available right here right now - 13" sometime soon

4. Ballso thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a mid 2010 MBP and that will remain my workhorse, but as I'll be travelling a lot more I'd like an 11" MBA for portability. I just wanted to know whether a retina display for the Air was coming, or whether it'd remain in the Pro line. In any case, it doesn't look like the Air will be getting a refresh for a while.

I think I'll go ahead and get the refurb mid 2012 11" Air that I've seen. Thanks guys!

5. RonDMC macrumors member

I beg to differ, it will happen at some point. The iPad has retina at a $500 price point. We will see a retina iMac and MBP 13 before the Airs. I think sometime next year we will probably see retina airs, by that point the retina imacs and 13" MBP would have been released and they will be the only Apple line without retina.

The beauty about Apple products is they hold there value very well so buy the Air you want now, when you start hearing about leaks of 11" retina screens look at selling it and you will only have a small change over.

6. vegtro macrumors newbie

Any refresh to the Airs won't happen till Haswell (intel's new CPU) is out till mid summer next year.

7. Kafka macrumors 6502

IMO, don't hold your breath. The Air is the "budget" line so to speak, they'll have to wait until they can include such a screen without a price bump.

8. Ballso thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks guys - you've helped make my mind up! :)