Macbook Air was stolen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by arman94, Mar 14, 2018.

1. arman94 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,
    Today my 2014 Macbook Air was stolen. Find my Mac was enabled and I have also password on Startup screen. So i have put it into Lost mode with 4 digit password. So I wanted to know if iCloud lock for Macbook behaves the same as iPhone Activation Lock. Is it possible to bypass the password reinstalling macOS ? btw I have the latest macOS.

2. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Hopefully your hard drive was encrypted. It should be uncrackable.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If the iCloud lock is applied, it is done in firmware and it will lock down the whole machine. They will not be able to reinstall the OS.

4. arman94 thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    Yea i have applied it but still it is pending. So if they do not connect to the internet and make a restore using flash drive will they bypass lock? In this moment Macbook is offline and Lost Mode is pending. If they choose guest account and connect to Wifi it will be locked automatically.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even worse... if they never connect to the Internet, there will be no lock period. If your drive was not encrypted it is pretty easy for them to reset your password and get in. The good news is, usually these folks don't care about your data.. they just erase the drive to sell the computer.

Exactly.

6. arman94 thread starter macrumors regular

ah okay, thank you. Next time I will enable filevault

7. arman94 thread starter macrumors regular

*** Update ***
    My Macbook Air was found today by police. Actually police put it in stolen database and they were able to find it when checking some individual bag. However all Macbook Air is f*** up, like scratches, dirt, he wrote with pen in it.
    https://ibb.co/kKrjXx
    https://ibb.co/eTr1Cx

8. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Glad to hear. Assuming it is still in good working order why not consider covering it with an attractive laptop skin eg.DecalGirl?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Lucky break! Too bad the clowns scratched it all up though. :mad:

10. 960design macrumors 68030

11. arman94 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I have already cleaned it, I think I will gonna buy some laptop skin. It turns out that he/she opened Mac. So I opened it again cleaned everything, there were fingerprints and food pieces inside. Afterward I have run diagnostic test, so now everything was working fine. I think that there can be also water damage. Some interesting things. First of all, thief did not reinstall macOS, he entered using Guest account but did not connect to the internet. Webcam was closed by piece of paper. There were also some files e.g. Android crack games and so. Since my laptop was stolen from library, I think that some school kid took it. Since if it was stolen for resale there is no need to scratch.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would wipe the drive and reinstall the OS to start from scratch. There is no telling what the heck they may have installed on there.

13. arman94 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thank you, I will do clean install and will enable filevault.