MacBook Air was taken by burglar

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lukelee, Jun 16, 2013.

1. lukelee macrumors newbie

My house was burglarized 3 days ago, My MacBook Air and many valuable items were stolen. I just received an email from find my iphone 2 minutes ago, local time is 7:51pm, it said: "MacBook Air was locked at 2:09 am."

I immediately logged into my icloud account to see the macbook location, but nothings there.

My questions are:
    If the computer was locked at 2:09 am, why send me the notification email so late? Is it different time zone? I am in Australia

Why there is no latest known location?

The macbook air has been locked, can the connect to internet? if not, find my device won't work again?

Should I let apple know the stolen serial number? Do I send them an email?

Thanks

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I assume you called the police. Contact your insurance co. and get a new machine. Apple won't do anything for you -- at least that is the case here in the U.S. If you did a wipe on iCloud that's the best you are gonna do. Just move on. Terrible experience, I know personally. Best to let it go and not obsess about it.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you locked it with iCloud's Find my Mac, and then got the confirmation from iCloud that the lock is in place, then no... the device will not be able to boot or get on the Internet. It is locked down. The only way to use that computer now is to enter the four digit PIN you used when you locked it.

4. lukelee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys, I am an idiot, I should not lock it! I thought the location would send to my email once the macbook air connect to internet, but it didn't

5. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

I really don't get it
    Is so easy for apple to trace next time serial connects to Internet via App Store

Such a shame for loyal customers and so unfair.
    :(

6. bravenewmac macrumors member

i hope they bring a similar activation lock feature like in ios7 to macs aswell

7. n1tut macrumors regular

Same situation a couple of months ago, a low life burgled my 2010 MBA 11" and a couple of other items before he legged it.

Just wrote it off as I did not want it back as the Insurance company replaced it with the new 2013 model.

tut

8. kokako macrumors regular

post the stolen serial here and also take the time to make a youtube video telling people the stolen serial number, that way the machine is burned.
    Worth doing.
    Ps - Sorry this happend to you, sucks some people are just no good.

9. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Sucks to hear that.

My classmate spent a month in Europe and during his France visit, his MBP was stolen. He contacted the police and not sure how they were able to catch the bastard and return the machine to him, within 3 days.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Location tracking using Wifi isn't 100% flawless. If the thief hooked up the MBA to a newly installed hotspot in a place with no other established hotspots around, then there won't be any location to report because the hotspot hasn't had time to show up on anyone's database.

Worse, if the thief had taken an existing router and set it up in a totally new location, then for some time, anyone connecting to that router will get the wrong location data.

11. koimei macrumors newbie

what did you do then ?

my macbook air 2013 newest model was taken also

it was erased, locked, also cannot locate it.