Macbook Air Water Damage Issue! (Help!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sxalansari, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sxalansari macrumors newbie

Hi!

So yesterday night my sister spilled water on my macbook air so I freaked out and got a blow dryer and started drying in. However I didnt turn on. So I placed it in rice for 11Hrs, & it didnt turn on.I left it under the sun today for around 30 min and it didnt turn on.
    I was scared to charge it, but suprisingly when I did, it worked and turned on. The only problem is when I remove the charger it turns off immediately! Moreover when I put the charger no light came out. It was blank. But the laptop worked when I put the charger, and stopped when I took it out. I can't send it to an official apple store since I dont live in USA.

What do I do? :(

2. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Sorry to hear about laptop.

Not sure what the DIY repair options would be. But it sounds like it could either be the battery itself. Or something in the logic board that handles the charging of the battery. I'm sure someone would be able to help you diagnose which one it is, but you will likely be looking at a several hundred dollar repair. Are there any Apple Authorized repair shops in your area that could maybe take a look at it? They may even be able to beat the prices I list below, but then you have to factor in labor as well.

Ideally it's just the battery, ifixit sells Air batteries for around $120. However, the logic board for a 2013 13" was at $799, while a 2011 13" was $499.

If it does turn out to be the logic board part, you may be best off replacing your laptop. Or using it as the desktop that it currently 'works' as.

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Whip it open and wipe the logic board clean. You don't want any corrosion kicking in. While you're there, remove the battery (in case it begins to swell) and check the battery connector on the logicboard itself to see check for any visual damage. If there's not then you should be good to go with a replacement battery.

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

The main part that fails and acts like you say is the Magsafe i/o board or the thin ribbon cable attached to it or both. Very easy diy repair.
    BUT as said, get that thing opened and unplug the one main battery cable and let it dry out.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

this , i would also inspect the battery if it shows any signs of corrosion replace it.

magsafe board should be replaced after any water damage accident.