Macbook air watered down still has warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Takenlife, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Takenlife, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

Takenlife macrumors member

Hello, a family member got my macbook air wet with a cup of water spilled onto it. I had confidence that it would be revived and now I am typing on it at this instance. The problem is that it is not charging, but receiving power from the charger only. The battery from "Power" on system report says it needs to be replaced. What a bummer only 83 cycles since bought. Although, I do have warranty left the standard 1 year. I see I think red humidity stickers. Will replacing the battery void them from installing once they pry it open? Or they will replace it because plugging it in only receives power and the status says replace now? I also am thinking about bleaching the stickers.

What should I do?

Replace by installing my own battery using up 80-120$ or taking a gamble with Apple to get me new battery?

Thoughts please I can't think that straight atm. This is horrid! I should of got those keyboard padders.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Replacing the battery yourself can, indeed, void your warranty, as there are no user-serviceable parts in your MacBook Air. It is likely that your warranty is voided already, due to exposure to moisture.

3. Takenlife thread starter macrumors member

I understand that there is no user-serviceable parts that I can do to my macbook air that will void it. But that doesn't help me wether I should install it or try to give it a go with Apple.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would still prefer to have Apple do any service work on my Macs. There is a possibility, although slim, that an Apple rep will work with you to get you running again without a major expense. Some have been known to bend the rules to keep customers happy, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

5. Takenlife thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thank you that is a much better response, I just thinking of the bleaching method... Not sure. I can always go with the what if my macbook went through ... with phone support to see what happens. I googled this before I made a thread but it wasn't recent enough or detailed about the problem.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

From this technician's point of view, the water did not damage battery, but damaged the charging electronic, so swapping battery may do nil.

But hey have them look at it, the worst they can say is no.

7. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Agreed, replace the magsafe charging board/circuit and that will likely fix the battery issue.
    That board DOES have logic on-board that most likely went bad

8. ~Achilles~ macrumors member

Have the family member pay for repair/replacement? Or atleast help towards it, since its their fault. Shocked at the bleaching the stickers comment. Dishonest. This is why i'd never buy refurb/2nd hand

9. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I'd bet you they've thought about the concept of bleaching, and the sensors wont turn white in bleach.

10. Takenlife thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have a similar situation where this occurred?

11. Takenlife thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man. If it isn't the battery to be fixed, would it be... the logic board ?

12. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

This is not a concern with Apple refurbs. You shouldn't be concerned- they are, for all practical purposes, new.

13. Takenlife thread starter macrumors member

Update!

So I decided not to be sketchy and white lie them. I bought a battery out of ebay as new for 66$. The old battery I toke out had 2/4 red humidity sensor. The new one had 0 recharge cycles and I am pleased very very happy that it is in fact charging atm and not the logic board that takes care of charging was any problem. YEPEE!!!!!! I also had trouble finding "bleach" just bleach in my local shop, but I could of tried walmart. Everything was "with bleach" blah blah. Anyway I am very happy to announce to you guys and hopefully future members that there are cases that just the battery short out/fry idk.

Trying to decide what keyboard covers is the best for macbook air, looked online saw apple site results and the most important thing was, ventilation worries. I know and positive that heat/air comes out of keyboard and will be blocked if using those protectors. Wondering if there is any other way to protect from spills other than using common sense or avoiding drinks near computer. BTW the water incident wasn't me remember. Anyway I am happy. I probably am out of warranty because 1 sticker is red on logic board I think.