Macbook Air......WHY?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevink8125, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kevink8125 macrumors member

kevink8125

Is it just me or is the Macbook Air just completely pointless. No CD drive everything over the air, just lame. I don't understand why anyone would buy this unless they just won the lottery and think it looks good. I am just baffled shed some light if you disagree......

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everyone has different needs

Portability
    A second computer

A multitude of reasons

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

If I was someone who went to a lot of keynotes, press conferences, and lectures...I'd definitely want an air over anything else. The size and compactness makes it great for those kinds of seating arrangements.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Oh God, not another one of these threads.

Put simply, the MBA is a kind of niche product, and if you don't see the point in it, nothing anyone can say will make you see it, so you're obviously not a part of the target market for it.

Sorry If I come off as a little rude, it's just that there have been so many of these threads...

BTW, I'm not a MBA fanatic, I won't buy one for simple reasons that I have mentioned many times. I'm not part of the target audience either, apparently.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Watch the keynote.... SJ clearly said, "Its a WIRELESS Machine"
    => Business class
    Portability is the keyword
    Buy MB/P for all other needs!

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Please use the search function next time. This has been discussed to death on here.

I smell a troll though on this one...

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My father loves his Air; he has the SuperDrive but has never used it; we have 4 routers in the house, all printers are networked, so he doesn't need the ethernet dongle he bought either.

He watches a few videos, reads the news, and checks email. That's it; and for those things the MBA works out perfect for his needs.

9. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Just because you think its pointless does not mean there is no demand for it. The air is great for simple office use, emails and complements an existing desktop perfectly. I love mine and have never experienced the need for a cd drive when I'm out with the air.

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Lets all be honest here. How often do you REALLY use your optical drive? Personally I don't use mine much at all on any of my Macs. My 12" Powerbook which is basically my "on the road" mac has probably seen optical drive use 3 times since I purchased it a year ago. (2 of those times to install Mac OS) The Air is a cool gimmick. What I don't like about it is not the lack of features (like Firewire etc.) but how underpowered it is and how "permanant" everything in it is. The battery and RAM for example are pretty much a one time deal on this Mac. In 2 years when the batterys in the Air's are all dying, I'm sure Apple will have a nice expensive battery option for you, but otherwise you're stuck to an outlet, thus defeating the whole "wireless" freedom the Mac was built for. Everyone has different needs though, I just couldn't see paying more for a less powerful/less upgradable machine.