MacBook Air wifi backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eddieskis, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Eddieskis macrumors newbie

Ok so after much back and forth between a 2012 refurb MacBook Pro retina 13" and the 2013 MacBook Air 13" (base models), I've decided to go with the air. I can notice the half pound of extra weight and the extra battery is good for me. If I could stretch to a 2013 rmpb maybe the decision would be more difficult but I can't. Anyway

I have a question about wireless networking.

Right now I have a pocket wifi mobile hotspot which I use with my appletv and iPhone and ipad.

I want to add network storage (nas?) but I can't connect to the nas via Ethernet, can I connect to it with only wifi. So is this still possible without a wired connection.

For instance apple time machine or equivalent connected to the mobile hot spot as well as the appletv and my new MacBook Air.

Can I send files wirelessly to the time machine from the air without having the time machine connected directly via Ethernet to a router (wifi only).

I'm not so worried about data charges as when I stream via airplay it doesn't use my bandwidth as it's only over a local area network (wifi) not via internet.

For those who ask why I don't get a home connection the problem is I live in Japan. I have to pay line rental plus a 5 year contract with the ISP which I don't want to do.

I hope this is somewhat clear, any help would be great.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could use a wifi hard drive like this one from Seagate to share files like that, but it won't work for Time Machine.

Time Machine will need a device that supports the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) and I am not aware of any wifi hard drives that do.

3. Eddieskis thread starter macrumors newbie

Would something like this work
    http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

Without having a wired connection. Ie; not wired to a router but connected via wifi.

I'm not really interested in a portable solution more of a home backup.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless I am missing something, I don't see a way to connect that wirelessly to your network. That is a ethernet NAS setup.