Macbook Air wifi disconnect and flashing folder with question mark

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rsg1010, Mar 14, 2014.

1. rsg1010 macrumors member

Hoping someone can help with this problem:

My macbook air after awaking from sleep sometimes disconnects from wifi. The menu bar still shows full bars and when I highlight my mouse over the icon it says wifi is on but does not show any networks. I then restart the computer and it will show a flashing folder with question mark. I have to end up doing a hard reboot and it works fine after. I am using a 2013 11" macbook air and on OSX 10.9.2.

Any ideas how to fix this or what may be wrong?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That flashing question mark means the Mac cannot find the OS to boot from. This is most commonly the result of a bad drive. I would take that in for a warranty repair right away.

3. rsg1010 thread starter macrumors member

So I installed DriveDX software to determine if there was anything wrong with the SSD drive and it came back with a Advanced S.M.A.R.T Status Failure (10 issues found). Anyone familiar with that software and error message?

4. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

flashing ? on bootup. Took my mba into the store. Turned out to be a bad SSD Hard drive. Also there is a recall on the motherboard. I strongly suggest you contact the GBar and make sure you don't have the faulty Motherboard. I know its a pain but its better than the lose of data! I say this from my own life lessen.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Still sounds like a bad drive. It is also possible, but less likely the logic board is bad like zipur mentioned. Off to the Apple Store for you. :(