Macbook Air - will 802.11n Wi-Fi work.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nottarf, Sep 18, 2011.

1. nottarf macrumors newbie

Hello, could I seek some guidance from Macbook Air users?

Brief Background:

I live in a small town in Thailand some 320 kms south of Bangkok.

There is Wifi here around the centre of town but I do not think it covers the whole surrounding area.
    Also WiFi is not always available 24 hours, very hit and miss.

I have a Nokia mobile that sometimes 'pick-ups' a WLANs and finds a signal named 'SMC".

The phone says I am connected to 'SMC' and the display show the Wi-Fi icon (not encrytpted).

I need a notebook that does not need to be connected to the Internet via Ethernet.

My question:

Apple tech specs state 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking built into the MBA.

Will a MBA be able to connect to the 'outside world' using this technology when you consider my location?

Do I need Airport Express Base Station in my house if I had a MBA?

Would appreciates it if someone can give me some opinions.

Thank you.

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Your Macbook Air should be able to connect to any Wifi that your Nokia can connect to, and might actually have slightly better signal strength than the Nokia.

Macbook Air supports both 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies, and all the different types of 802.11 (ie 802.11a/b/g/n). Pretty much, any type of wifi you will ever come across will be one of those. No issues there.

You do not need an Airport Base Station to connect to the public wifi.

That being said, if there is one spot in your house which has the best wifi signal (like, on the top floor of your building in the corner), it might be wise to put a an Airport Express where the signal is best and set it up to be a bridge so it can extent the "strong" signal within your house evenly. You can read more about it by searching for "airport express bridge help" on google.

3. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Many of the new Android phones or even the new Iphone 4 have a feature in them that allow the phone to turn into a Hotspot so you can connect to that phone via Wifi if there is no other Wifi connection around you. The MBA should be able to connect to any Wifi. In Thailand DTAC,AIS and True offer 3G Data packages now. All of their Data packages are quite reasonable and you can get them without needing to sign a yearly contract.