MacBook Air will not power on after going to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sjura10, Aug 26, 2014.

1. sjura10 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" MacBook Air (2012) that has been giving me some issues on and off lately. The past month or two, it has had a few instances where it would take a lot of time and work to get it to "wake up" after the lid was opened. A few times I had to hold the power and reboot it as it was non-repsonsive and would not display anything on screen (black screen). Then a few weeks ago it was un-responsive for a minute upon opening the lid but I eventually got it to come alive but it was very slow to get going as there were quite a few programs running and it auto-rebooted itself. Once I logged in, it did it again but this time it got hung up on the apple logo on boot and was in a cycle of trying to reboot itself but failed at the apple logo. I eventually got it into recovery mode and went into Disk Utility. It found some problems with the hard drive and fixed them. After that, it booted up fine and hasn't given me any problems UNTIL... yesterday, it won't even attempt to power on at all. It was working fine yesterday morning and I was only using Safari (no other programs running) then I closed the lid and left for a few hours with it just sitting there. I didn't take it with me, drop it or anything like that (In fact, it's never been dropped). I just left it right there where I was using it and closed the lid. I came back in the afternoon and opened it up and waited for it to come on but nothing happened. It wasn't even powered on as I put my ear up to it and listened for noise. I've tried holding the power button, I've tried Option+Power, I've reset the SMC, but nothing happens. I don't know what else to try. I believe this model may have a recall on the solid-state-drive but I'm not sure that is it as it should at least power on and display a folder with a "?" mark if the hard drive was bad. I'm wanting to attempt to resolve this before I make a 1.5 hour trip to the Apple store so any help and suggestions are welcome.

Things you should know:
    • It successfully resets the SMC as the orange light flashes green for a few seconds before turning orange again.
    • I've tried the charger with 2 different plugs with and without the extending cord. I've also tried booting on battery power only.
    • The power button is not broke as it recognizes it while doing the SMC reset.
    • MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Thanks so much for all your help, Silas

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Have you taken it into Apple and had them run a sys diag on it? They don't charge, even if it's out of warranty. If something is defective, they'll charge for the repair if you don't have AppleCare, but if it's just a determination scan they'll be more than happy to help.