MacBook Air wireless server + backup recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by marcfiszman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. marcfiszman macrumors newbie

marcfiszman

Hi,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1.6GHz 80GB MBA. Lovely machine, but that little drive is filling up fast! :)

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Set up two drives on my wireless network (wireless DSL modem/router): one as a server, the other as backup.
    - Be able to access those drives from outside my home network.
    - Since the drives will be sitting close to where I sleep, I'd like them to be quiet (i.e., they'll spin down when not in use, rather than running constantly).
    - I'd also like to be able to print wirelessly.

I was looking at a 500GB Time Capsule as the server, and an external USB drive attached to the TC for backup. But am wondering if it would be better to just plug a couple of 500GB drives into my current wireless router.

Any suggestions for the best setup/equipment? I'm in the UK, if that has any bearing on the availability of items.

Thanks for any help!
    Marc

(PS I'm fairly inexperienced in networking matters, so please let me know if I've missed out any important info!)

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You should definitely read the steps I've written for setting up Remote File Access:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429956

Does your router have the ability to share USB hard drives? If not, then a Time Capsule might be a good idea, especially since you can configure its drive to be shared and accessible remotely, *and* you can hang a printer off of it. If you have a Mac that will be staying at home all the time, you can use that, as well.

However, I have read that the Time Capsule is not very quiet, so you may want to do some research before you buy one.