Macbook Air with Samsung SE-S084D

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by krappei, Jul 28, 2011.

1. krappei macrumors newbie

Hi I just got a new i5, 256 ssd macbook air(my first mac) with the samsung se-s084d external dvd drive. I tried to use the drive to watch the Dark Knight on DVD (original, not copied or burned) but it wouldn't load on the Apple dvd software. I also tried it on bootcamp Windows 7 and that didn't work either. Any one else having this problem? The dvd drive seems to work ok on my older Lenovo (win7).

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I have a similar, older model and it worked okay for me in terms of reading data discs. Not tried any movies and I can't at the moment as I'm away, but does the drive work for any sort of disc?

3. krappei thread starter macrumors newbie

I can read see the TS_Video files from DVD's. I had no problems reading Data Disks.

4. turbotoes macrumors regular

I have the same samsung drive and a 2011 mba and it plays dvds' just fine. The apple dvd player autoloaded and off it went.

5. krappei thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you connect both USB's to the mac air or go with single? I wonder if that'll make a difference. Also, did you have to update the drivers or anything?

6. turbotoes macrumors regular

Single USB plug, no updates. I just stuck the DVD in the drive and away it all went.
    I only tried one DVD, (lion, witch and wardrobe) I'll try with some others later to confirm and let you know the results. But I'm away from home for a couple of hours.

7. krappei thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ronin510 macrumors member

The Apple DVD application doesn't play well with non-Apple external DVD drives. You have two options.

1) Edit 2 values in the DVD Framework files (tested on 10.6, not sure about 10.7): 10.6: Make DVD Player work with external DVD drives

2) Use VLC or some other third party media player to play DVDs.