MacBook Air with "Virus" or Malware.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikeherdes, Feb 28, 2017.

1. mikeherdes macrumors member

Hi everyone. I'd like to try and fix my girlfriends Macbook Air for her. When she's using Google Chrome webpages will often come up with ads or surveys and popups. Pages are also prevented from loading and instead a new tab will come up with a webpage that was not requested.

I've tried looking in the advanced settings of Chrome and in the extensions. I don't see any browser extensions that look out of place (the only one's are google adons like Docs and excel). I also don't see any programs that look out of place.

I've tried to install AVG, but it seems like whatever is on her computer is preventing me from opening it. I should also mention that nothing seems to happen unless she is using a browser.

Thanks for any help.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Run MalwareBytes for Mac, that'll fix the problem: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

If it won't download on their Mac, download it to a different computer and transfer/run via USB. It's only about 5MB so it won't need to install anything. Just run and remove any detected items.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

And if that doesn't work, I can put a vote in for Sophus.