MacBook Air won't hibernate on low battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MrCheeto, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

With my MacBook Pro, it would automatically save the current RAM state to disk then shut down. When I would plug it in and start it up, it would resume from the saved RAM state. (Greyed out screen with progress bar at the bottom. Would pick up EXACTLY where it left off)

Now with my MacBook Air, it will simply shut off... This is very annoying and not nearly as convenient as what I would expect from such a refined machine.

My battery has been calibrated and we're dealing with a 2011 13" MacBook Air, Core i7.

Here's my pmset

Cheetos-MacBook-Air:~ Cheeto$ pmset -g
    Active Profiles:
    Battery Power -1*
    AC Power -1
    Currently in use:
    standbydelay 10800
    standby 1
    halfdim 1
    panicrestart 157680000
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    disksleep 10
    sleep 60
    hibernatemode 3
    ttyskeepawake 1
    displaysleep 5
    acwake 0
    lidwake 1

Also, could anybody explain to me how else I could tweak these settings? I like to mess with my power settings.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC.
    Your battery came pre-calibrated and does not require regular calibration.
    You shouldn't mess with them. That may have been the cause of your problem. Let your Mac manage itself.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Did it.

No, sir.

So it is default for it to save RAM state when the battery level is depleted? I don't get it. I don't have Smart Sleep installed, I reset PRAM and SMC and reset pmset to defaults via terminal...

What. Gives. Apple??? I've got a list of complaints and it's like nobody in Cupertino checks their inboxes or under their pillows. Where's. The. Fudge...

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

By default once it has been sleeping and has not woken up, it will suspend to disk, like the other machine you mentioned. What does your machine do when the battery is depleted and it attempts to sleep?

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

...what?

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

When the battery is depleted, it plain shuts off...

8. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

Same Issue here, but with a 2009 17" mbp. I have to mention that my magsafe adapter/power inlet on the computer's side is faulty (battery draining while the battery icon and the green light state that it is fully charged/the computer is using the power adaptar as source for power). So I know, my problem is probably a misinformed OS thanks to a faulty power socket, while the battery's chipset still knows what it's doing, so it simply cuts the power when nearing a certain capacity threshold (independent of what OS X thinks about that idea ;) ). Maybe there's something similar going on in your system? (faulty power inlet chipset, but OS X seems to ignore the battery chipsets information, if the power inlet chipset gives certain information) Probably OS X related, since the OS (should be/)is able to check the battery if it's getting used or not, but it seems to prioritize information from the power inlet over actual battery related information in the making of decisions of weither to hibernate or not.

9. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Thanks for the response, but that wouldn't make sense because the computer is not plugged in when it depletes and shuts down so it couldn't possibly get confused...

10. morrislevy macrumors newbie

I have the same problem too -- 2009 MacBook Pro 15"
    I've found nothing so far... :confused: Not a clue how to fix this thus-far.

Thanks,
    -- Morris