MacBook air won't switch on

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Charlee1993, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Charlee1993 macrumors newbie

hi everyone,
    I stupidly brought a 2013 MacBook Air second hand 2 weeks ago. I have had no problems, updated to Yosemite and changed user log in etc to my own and that's been fine. The battery count was about 642 so probably about 648 now.
    I usually charge it when its in the last 10% of life and then remove the charger when green. On Thursday I left it on green for about 3 hours and removed it as soon as I had realised it was fully charged and used it prior to that. Today is Saturday (just so you know timescale) and I went to turn it on.
    it fired up past the Apple logo and onto log in screen. I typed in my password and it died. So I tried again got to log in (and battery was at 74% when I had a quick look) and then it died again. Powered on again, and this time didn't make it to the log in before dying. And the final time died quicker again. Now it won't switch on at all.
    i have tried another air charger from a friend and this hasn't helped. Also have tried shaking it to get the motion sensor activated. Nothing.
    any advice and suggestions would be really appreciated. I know I'm stupid for buying second hand, and I will probably spend as much fixing it as buying a new one would have been added to the cost of the macbook.

thankyou in advance

2. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Leaving it charged in did NOT kill the battery.
    Running it down to 10% can since the Lithium-ion chemicals do not like heat and that is what happens when a deep discharge/recharge takes place.
    Lithium-ion really is NOT hurt from short charges and does not suffer memory retention. Therefore charge it anytime when you fall below 80% and you will be fine, leaving it on the charger for hours of several days also will not hurt the battery

Nonetheless you have no idea as to how it was treated with the prior 600+ cycles.. Does it not turn on while plugged in?

Bring it into apple and have them test the air, they may find that the battery gave out and just maybe install one for free since it does have under 1000 cycles. Don't count on it as 600+ cycles is still a lot.

if you were in the twincities of Mpls, I'd say come on over, I have a few spare 13" air batteries

3. Charlee1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

the light on the charger comes on, but no the macbook dosent!

----------

And thankyou for your advice! I have booked in with Apple for a weeks time as that's the nearest slot! Does is sound like a battery related issue though? As obviously it said 74% when it briefly switched on?

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

try this : Close the display, then dis-connect the charger if connect, then connect the charger, then open the display
    Did it self power on?

----------

What color is the light? if orange, let it charge awhile and try again.
    The last known charge state such as 74% will show up briefly until it updates to the new reading, you may have seen that.

5. Charlee1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

That didn't work unfortunately no :( and yes I understand, if it had made it past the log in screen then the power may have update to the new percentage!
    I have been charging it now all day in which usual time the charger turns green and it hasn't yet

6. cyber16 macrumors 6502

I am GLAD it did not turn on with that little test, if it did, then that would have suggested that the magsafe i/o board may have failed as that is what happens when they do.

7. Charlee1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh good! I will try that in about an hour Im just popping out and will update. What does that do to activate the battery?

8. Charlee1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya, I've just done that as suggested, nothing happens except the charger light goes from Orange to green? Any ideas?

9. motrek macrumors 68020

No ideas but really doubt this has anything to do with charging or the battery.

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

It may be time to have Apple or an authorized service center take a look at it.

11. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Definitely take it in to an Apple store, have them check it out. Wont cost anything, but they may not be extremely specific. Sounds like battery or logic board. By any chance has it been wet before? Keyboard may have gone bad from moisture, power button part of keyboard. I've seen that before on multiple MacBooks. Let Apple check it out.

12. cyber16 macrumors 6502

To 100% rule out the battery being a serious cause to the point of a internal short. If you have a 5 point pentalobe screwdriver remove the back cover.
    Simply unplug the cable from the battery to the logic board and try to use with only the magsafe charger.

13. Charlee1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!
    It is booked in on Tuesday with Apple so will update after I have been! Just thought I would ask on here as I will be flapping about worrying what it is until Tuesday now!
    To my knowledge it has never been wet but as mentioned I have only owned it 3 weeks!
    And I don't have the screwdriver to fit the screws but I will just wait for Apple to have a look!
    Thanks again everyone and as mentioned will update on Tuesday

14. Charlee1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

This morning it has switched on! Asked me to reset all my passwords! Still taking it to Apple tomorrow but am happy I've managed To transfer all my stuff from it!

15. Charlee1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it to Apple two weeks ago.
    Was working fine. And now it's broken again so another 45 minute journey there tomorrow. Hopefully will really find out what's wrong now as its completly dead. I can see from online that a lot of 2013 mbas seem to have issues so should have an answer for me I hope!