Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hi guys!

I'm considering buying either a MBA or a MBP 13'' in the future, and one of the toughest tasks I'd like to do with it would be running GarageBand or Logic Pro. Mainly, I'd be composing Jazz pieces (Piano, Bass, Percussion, Sax and Guitars, in any number of combinations), some solo piano pieces, and maybe some Game-music.

I'd like to know if any of you has experience with the MBA 13'', and can tell me if it is powerful enough for this kind of task. While I would like the portability, I want my laptop to be my sole computer. I know the MBA can run all the other tasks I intend it to alright (Web Browsing, Video-watching, Chatting, Photoshop, PS2 and Nintendo DS Emulation). Music-creating is the only one still holding me back. ;)

Cheers!

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
Hi guys!

I'm considering buying either a MBA or a MBP 13'' in the future, and one of the toughest tasks I'd like to do with it would be running GarageBand or Logic Pro. Mainly, I'd be composing Jazz pieces (Piano, Bass, Percussion, Sax and Guitars, in any number of combinations), some solo piano pieces, and maybe some Game-music.

I'd like to know if any of you has experience with the MBA 13'', and can tell me if it is powerful enough for this kind of task. While I would like the portability, I want my laptop to be my sole computer. I know the MBA can run all the other tasks I intend it to alright (Web Browsing, Video-watching, Chatting, Photoshop, PS2 and Nintendo DS Emulation). Music-creating is the only one still holding me back. ;)

Cheers!

If you plan to use it as your sole computer, i would get a MBP. The MBP can be upgraded to 8gb of ram which will be plenty for you to use for years to come.

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I was actually thinking of waiting until I could get 8GB and SandyBridge (iX) processors. ;) But the fact they'll have to be ULV will still make their performance lower than the MBPs.

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
I was actually thinking of waiting until I could get 8GB and SandyBridge (iX) processors. ;) But the fact they'll have to be ULV will still make their performance lower than the MBPs.

A MBA with SandyBridge and 8GB of ram would be a really nice machine

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
A MBA with SandyBridge and 8GB of ram would be a really nice machine

Thing is, SandyBridge comes with slightly worse graphics. Would worse graphics affect music-creating software? I heard Garageband is GPU-intensive. Not so sure about Logic Pro.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Thing is, SandyBridge comes with slightly worse graphics. Would worse graphics affect music-creating software? I heard Garageband is GPU-intensive. Not so sure about Logic Pro.

Neither is what I would call GPU-intensive. As a matter of fact GarageBand '11 runs perfectly happilly on my iMac 1.83 Core Duo with a ATI X1600, and my MacBook White with a Intel X3100 - neither of which is remotely powerful compared to the GPU in my 11" Air. The situation is the same with Logic Pro, however the big downside with an Air is the lack of FireWire. If it fits in your workflow then a MBA w 4/8GB RAM should handle GarageBand/Logic Express/Logic Pro just fine (Heck my low-end 11"/1.4/2GB MBA handles Final Cut Pro for basic editing and even Motion 4 at a pinch, so Graphics definitely shouldn't be an issue).

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Neither is what I would call GPU-intensive. As a matter of fact GarageBand '11 runs perfectly happilly on my iMac 1.83 Core Duo with a ATI X1600, and my MacBook White with a Intel X3100 - neither of which is remotely powerful compared to the GPU in my 11" Air. The situation is the same with Logic Pro, however the big downside with an Air is the lack of FireWire. If it fits in your workflow then a MBA w 4/8GB RAM should handle GarageBand/Logic Express/Logic Pro just fine (Heck my low-end 11"/1.4/2GB MBA handles Final Cut Pro for basic editing and even Motion 4 at a pinch, so Graphics definitely shouldn't be an issue).

That is great to know. I do not fear that much regarding FireWire, put simply because it is likely that Thunderbolt/Lightpeak is incorporated in the next MBA revision. I had been told that the MBA 13'' with 4GB of RAM studdered a bit when creating music on Garage Band '11 (input being an electrical guitar). That's the reason I created this topic, and still request for more feedback. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.