Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tech198, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Am looking to getting an Air either in the 11 or 13 inch variety, in the next month or so.

The main reason is to (possible sell or keep as an addtiotion, have yet to decide), my Macbook pro i use at home for use only, and take my Air while i'm out and about.

Maily, i use general email, and web shrfing, the occasional iDVD and handbrake (mostly), and sometimes in Parallels, soon to be gaming.

Though doubt the Air would be capable of that.

Should i add an Air or replace the MBP with one?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How about MBA+iMac (or PC if gaming is important)? IMO it doesn't make much sense to have two laptops, especially if one of them won't even be carried around. iMac gets you a lot more power and bigger screen.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

????

ok.. I've kind of decided only one, or the other, not Both. As one of them wouldn't see much use.

I'm not really gaming much as is, and if i need to sacrifice this for an AIr , alone, I won't have a problem with thsi.

However, I biggest things are Parallels, Handbrake, and iDVD/Toast

WHat perforcamce will these be like on a day to day basis?

WIll the MBA be able to handle the video encoding with HB, or running Parallels ? or would it choke?

Since I already know, the MBA need the usb based superdrive (I don't have a problem with this either), as the main idiea is portability, yet fine to do the above everyday.

All of the above would be based on max memory 4Gig, configured to order.

Or would a MBP be better suited for this ?

Also, I thought about the lack of DVD drive, which by the way i don't hardly use, all my stuff is either read from the NAS (usb adapter i don'tt mind), or if installation/re-install of Lion is needed, I use Flash drive. This is also why i thought of the MBA.