Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lbmontez, Jan 20, 2012.

1. lbmontez macrumors member

I've been contemplating getting rid of my iBook G4, or at least upgrading and regulating the Book to a desktop, and getting an Air. I've been wanting to find a used Air on eBay or somewhere similar where I could just get a slightly older used one and save myself a little money. The only problem is, I have no idea where to look! All the ones that I found that don't require significant repairs aren't much cheaper than a brand new laptop...and they all seem to be at least 2010/2011 models.

What year did they start production on these laptops? That would probably help me in my search...does anyone know? :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products:

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Check Amazon Warehouse Deals - prices/stock changes often

4. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm going to actually answer your question.

The MacBook Air was first released on January 30, 2008 (almost 4 years to the day).

5. lbmontez thread starter macrumors member

I had no idea this existed...freaking. Sweet. Thank you!! Hopefully I be able to find an affordable Air soon!

----------

Thank you! :) I wonder why I can't find the older/oldest model. Are people just not letting them go, or did these just not hold up well?

6. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

7. lbmontez thread starter macrumors member

Information like this is exactly why I love this forum. Thanks!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I did answer the question. To illustrate, I'll show you how simple it is:

Step 1: Click the first link in my post.
    ScreenCap 1.PNG
    Step 2: Click the MacBook Air link on the page.
    ScreenCap 2.PNG
    Step 3: Read:
    ScreenCap 3.PNG

9. lbmontez thread starter macrumors member

10. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Could always have just stated it in your post too. :p

----------

Refurbished ones are practically brand new, checked over by Apple, given the standard one year warranty and are not exempt from AppleCare.

11. lbmontez thread starter macrumors member

Side topic-are there certain years/models in the Macbook line I should avoid? The MBA is ultimately what I want, but I'd settle for a plain ol' fashioned MB/MBP.

----------

Saved the link into my bookmarks. Perhaps my tax return is already spent! :D I love that Apple offers its refurbs with the AppleCare.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I could, but I prefer to give people tools to find their own answers, rather than spoon-feed them. This way, they not only have the answer to one question; they also now have sources of information so they can find answers to future questions, without being dependent on posting and waiting for answers. They also have the information from reputable sources, since you never know if a stranger in a forum is posting bogus information.

13. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I wouldn't go for anything pre-Intel Core 2. So whatever MBA you buy, you'll have an Intel Core 2 processor, so you're fine there.

14. kindadukish, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

kindadukish macrumors newbie

Get the upgraded one

There was a major upgrade to the line around October 2010 and the 11 inch model was added then. Then it was refreshed again with a few small changes (backlit keyboards were added back from the first generation, along with the usual speed upgrades, etc) last year. I have an October 2010 model and I wouldn't get one earlier than that generation. With the more recent refresh I think if you keep your eyes open you may find models from the October 2010 generation at a bit lower price. Unless you really care about the backlit keyboard my generation is a great computer, best one I've ever owned in 17 years of having Macs...

15. Kungshi macrumors member

I agree completely! I own the newest model but the newest model just follows in the foot tracks of the October 2010 redesign. Of course the newer the model the slightly better specs, but you won't regret either choice. You may, on the other hand, regret purchasing a model prior to the October 2010 redesign that doesn't even have a solid state drive in it.

16. lbmontez thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! I didn't know any of them didn't have a SSD...that would be preferable. Thanks for the new direction! Now I know what to look for.

----------

I've resisted an Intel processor for a long time, but nobody wants to do anything for PPC any longer. *sigh* I guess I should get with the times. :eek: