macbook airport better than pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benlee, Jun 9, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

i have a c2d mbp. my girlfriend has a cd macbook. they are side by side. we are both connnected to our airport express. when i check available networks her computer shows 9 that she is picking up. Mine shows 3.
    Is this the fault of the aluminum in the macbook pro. or have something to do with me having wireless n enabled? Not that i care because i dont use the other networks but im just curious.

2. mstrickland macrumors newbie

i've noticed this with my wife's macbook versus my new mbp. i'll be interested to hear some replies.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the powerbooks had the same problrem compared to the ibooks. the aluminium case blocks the signal and reduces the range.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I can't speak to the MBP, but my MB just kicks my Dell's butt when it comes to wireless connectivity. The Dell barely makes it to the living room, and the MB can go to the neighbor's yard, no sweat. Hotel wireless is another area that I was shocked how well it finds and holds onto a signal.

5. myxzyden macrumors member

I've read it somewhere tht there's two wireless antenna for MB. One vertical, one horizontal along the edge of the LCD. Not sure with the MBP though.

I travel quite alot along with my colleague. And everytime I get better wifi connection with my MB in Hotel rooms compared to her Powerbook.

Anyone has any technical explanation on tht?

6. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Aluminium is more dense than polycarbonate, hence why the PowerBook's Wi Fi will drop out way before the MacBook's will.

7. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

PowerBooks and MacBook Pro's are both just like a Faraday cage; hence the loss of WiFi...

8. ajhaji macrumors regular

According to reports, Apple has improved the MBP's wireless reception significantly in the latest revision.

9. mainomega macrumors 6502

... when i was first setting up a few PCs around my house I was using external G cards on the PCs with my G router. The signal was poor but had a steady connection. I purchased a N router and some of the PCs couldn't even see the router anymore. I plugged in both N and G routers and the G cards could still see the G but not the N. As I brought the G cards closer and closer they finally detected the N router...

Maybe something weird like that happened ?