Macbook - Airport Connectivity Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by a502, Jun 7, 2009.

1. a502 macrumors newbie

posted this at another forum but received no reply, so i thought id try here (im getting desperate):

i just purchased my first mac (the recently updated whitebook) after hearing all the great things about it. while i love it for the most part, i have an issue with airport losing connection a few times a day and i need to turn it on and off to recover the connection even though signal strength is at max. after reading all the forum posts regarding this issue, it seems as if its very common. i have some things im confused about and id be grateful if someone could answer them:

1. this issue seems to date back to as old as 2007. has it really be going on this long and apple has done nothing?

2. this is a software problem and not a hardware problem right? if so, why does it not affect everybody? i mean, if i exchange my macbook for another one, is there a chance this wont happen? or does it have something to do with my router/location/etc?

thanks in advance! at first i really thought i could live with it but its getting annoying..i didnt pay a few hundred dollars premium over windows to get stuck with bad connectivity :mad:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

These issues seem rather isolated, just because they're on forums doesn't mean widespread. I've never had an iBook/Macbook issue connecting to my Linksys routers, from WEP-128 to WPA2 type encryption. *shrug*

Onto the issue though...

What brand router is this? Did you try changing the channel on your router? What encryption scheme are you using?

3. a502 thread starter macrumors newbie

im using a d-link wbr-2310, wpa. i dont know what changing the channel means lol. the thing is, all the other pcs in my house are fine..i dont know whats causing my mac to disconnect randomly even when it detects my network.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The channel is which sub-frequency the router is running on. WiFi is 2.4ghz, but that's broken up into 11 channels, like 2.445, 2.45ghz etc (not sure of the real numbers off hand, but you get the drift).

The reason these are important is because if there are multiple networks around you, all on the same channel, it can cause connection issues. Changing the channel can be accomplished by logging into the router and going to the wireless preferences and in there will be a drop down menu to choose the channel. If you want to see what people around you are using channel-wise so you can choose appropriately, give istumbler a look. That'll show all the networks around you and the channel they're running on. That's what I used when I setup my wireless network.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You legend. I've been having problems for more than a week now, but haven't yet worked out how to word my problem for this forum (it's very complicated).

I will try your suggestion and see if it works - it sounds like it could do the trick.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

7. a502 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you :D

i will try changing it later. although i think i may have figured out my problem..my internet always seems to disconnect from time to time for a second..i barely notice it because on my pc, it automatically reconnects before i have time to notice something is wrong. is it possible that airport doesnt do this automatically so i have to do it myself?

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That could most definitely be the reason. There could be a few causes for this happening.

1) Dying router.
    2) 2.4ghz cordless phone interference
    3) Other WiFi network interference.

2 and 3 could both be fixed by changing the channel on the router like I mentioned earlier.