MacBook Airport grumbles...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dex22, Jun 13, 2007.

1. dex22 macrumors regular

Before posting this, I searched the forum on airport problems, read through, and tried lots of things that haven't helped.

I have an iBook, and yesterday bought a MacBook. I migrated everything over, and it copied all the applications and settings over.

The airport is the sticking point. The settings copied over, and appear to be correct.

When I open my iBook, it automatically connects to my base station. When I open my MacBook, it doesn't. When I try to manually connect, it tries, then gives an error. If I turn the airport off, then on, it connects perfectly.

When I go into the preferences pane, usually the airport settings are grayed out, even when it's connected.

I'd like it to behave like the iBook it's replacing. Any suggestions?

2. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Erase the list of networks you have in your System Preference>Networks. Then manually add it. That should fix it.

3. gameguy3001 macrumors member

If the airport setting are greyed out in system preferences, it could be that the lock in the bottom left is still locked.

Do you know what type of airport base station you are using?
    Thanks

4. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

The first reply seems to have worked, thank you!

The second reply seems to have worked too, thank you!

Well, that was easier than I expected.

While you're here - Macstumbler doesn't seem to run at all on this intel mac - can anyone suggest a replacement for Macstumbler?

5. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

iStumbler does the trick - thank you :)

From here at home, there are 13 visible access points, compared to 7 on the iBook. All bar two are on 1, 6 or 11. The odd ones are on 7 and 4 - we'll hunt those people down and help them out later.

The thing I find odd, considering the better reception, is that my iBook claims a 90% signal from my AP, on the desk next to it, whereas the MacBook sees it at 75%.

I'm going to read up on "Interference Robustness" now...