MacBook - Airport/internet connectivity

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Alaerian, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm a lurker on the MacRumors forums, and I have been for almost 5 years. I figure now is about the right time to start getting actively involved in the community. Unfortunately, I'm making my entrance by asking for your help and opinions. >.<

I own a pre-unibody MacBook, purchased in June 2008. I have had no problems with it thus far until today. I am a college student, and my MacBook goes to campus with me everyday. I utilize two of the college WiFi hotspots, each with its own distinct network name. I also connect to my home WiFi network that is secured and has another distinct network name.

Today, I found that I was unable to access anything internet-related on either of my campus networks. I was able to connect to both networks without issue, but I could not access the internet. The steps I tried to rectify:
    - Reboot (several times)
    - Reset SMC
    - Reset PRAM
    - Renewed DHCP Lease
    - Ran Network Advisor help thingy
    - Stop Airport and reenable
    I verified in the network options that Airport was on, connected, and working. The message underneath said something to the effect of "Airport is connected but has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet." I had not assigned it an IP address, and it was set to DHCP without a manual IP assignment. After resetting the PRAM, the shown IP was completely different and would still not connect.

When I arrived home this afternoon, I checked to see if I had connectivity on my MacBook to my home network. Everything internet related functioned without issue, like nothing had ever gone wrong.

Before I lost connectivity today, I changed nothing. There was no setting tampered with, no updates installed, etc. The college networks were also unchanged.

Am I missing something? This is so strange and I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm willing to try whatever I need to in order to restore functionality. This machine is an integral part of my college coursework and I really do need it. Thank you in advance for any insight you can possibly provide to me.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you contacted someone from your college IT dept. Maybe there router was down even though WIFI was working...

3. Alaerian thread starter Guest

Alaerian

I should have specified, I had spoken with the mac tech in the library at the second WiFi point I tried today. He confirmed that nothing had changed with the campus networks.