Macbook Airport issue finally solved

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tdevers, Jul 4, 2008.

1. tdevers macrumors regular

Since I have owned my 2.2 Black Macbook I've been plagued with horrible airport connectivity issues. Not matter where I was located, what AP I was using the connection would be very slow and extremely unstable.

So I decided to take it into the Apple Store today, my girlfriend was taking her Macbook in for battery issues so I figured what do I have to loose.

He went through the logs in Console, asked me when I last had this issue. He pinpointed when it was occurring and found a few messages from something called 'vmnet'. He saw I had VMWare installed on my machine. He start terminal and began to ping ping Google, 15ms response time, then started a virtual machine with VMWare. Pings skyrocketed to 600+ms. He went on to say that VMWare does some funky things and it is more than likely the culprit.

I left there mildly disappointed that he simply wrote it off as a software issue, something I would expect Dell or HP to tell me. Frankly I was waiting for the response to format and reinstall, but thankfully I have moved up in the world.

So I got home tonight, sent VMWare on its way to the trash, I figured its easy and worth a shot. VMWare wouldn't delete from the trash so I decided to check out AM for any running processes, sure enough there were 5-6 'vmnet' processes running. Ended all of those, deleted VMWare from the trash and holy cow I'm surfing faster than ever.

I can't believe it was something so simple and took so long to remedy but I love my MB more than ever now! I hope this helps anyone with this issue out!

2. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Let me tell you this: If you want to completely get rid of vmware, get the installation cd or whatever the source of your installation is and remove it "safely" (VMWARE has kernel extensions when you boot ur mac)
    Also, I have vmware and it has not caused me any trouble, you should reinstall the software and check if your AP is still failing.

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Yah, you really need to remove Vmware properly. In all actuality, you probably just need to upgrade to the newest version of Vmware. What version did you have installed? Alot of wireless issues were fixed in the latest version.

4. tdevers thread starter macrumors regular

I did have the newest version, I'm not sure of what it was but I recently upgraded. It wasn't the beta either.

I'm currently downloading it again to reninstall to remove properly, I have no uninstaller where they specify it should be. I really don't have much of a use for it so I'm just going to get rid of it. Its much more important that I have functioning airport than easily booting into Windows which I rarely need to do anymore.

I appreciate the heads-up about uninstalling, thanks!

5. John01021988 macrumors 6502

The uninstaller comes with the installation package.