MacBook Airport keeps dropping connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMosher, Feb 20, 2008.

1. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Hey,

I have had my MacBook sense Oct. 2006 and not until recently had any problems with the airport. Currently it will connect to any network as per usual and then with out notice just cut out for a few seconds and then come back on.

This isn't a huge pain if Im just browsing the net but if I am trying to hold a conversation using skype, IM, or downloading things it can get very very annoying. It cuts out about every 2 mins. It is not a problem with weak signal because when it is on it is showing full bars.

I have tried it under both my home network and my university network both resulting in the same thing. Is this a hardware issue (crossing fingers it isn't!)? Anybody having similar problems?

Mosher
    p.s. Im still on Tiger and fully updated

2. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Okay, as an update I am planning on taking my Macbook apart tomorrow and looking to see if there may perhaps be a loose wire/antenna or something, I am planning on following iFixIt's instructions unless someone knows of anything better?

Is this a bad idea to open it up and mess around with it?

3. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

my macbook is doing the same thing. I'm sitting 5 feet from my router so I dont' think its teh culpret.

If you find a fix please post it.

4. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I also hate this. I got my MacBook two months ago and it's already giving me problems. I think it's my router, but I'm not sure. But the computer that is connected to the router with a wire is going slow too. So maybe it's my router and I plan on buying Time Capsule, but if thats not the case then I think I am going to go to the Apple Store:)

5. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Okay, so I took it apart using the directions on iFixit.com. I couldn't tell straight up if it was fixed or not, I just adjusted the antenna wires a little bit and made sure the connections were good.

I put it back together and it worked perfectly!... well so far its only been like a couple hours but no dropped connections yet.

Suggestion: If you are going to take it apart make sure you have a magnet to get some of the screws out and keep all the screws separated and labeled (there are a lot of different ones!).

6. gsousa macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. This has got to be a software configuration or update issue. Any ideas?? Thanks

7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I have the exact same issue. It started acting up last week. It works under Windows (Bootcamp), though, so I don't think it is a hardware problem.

The symptoms are that the Airport card is connected (or appears to be) to the wireless network, but it doesn't get a valid IP address. It gets a self-assigned address instead. It does work for a while before starting to behave this way (after a reboot or resume). The system.log file has the following entries:

Any ideas on what may be going on? I don't remember doing any particular update or changing the configuration in any way before this started to happen. It has to be something in that regard, though, since it seems to be happening to several of us.

8. cleervizion macrumors newbie

i've also been having the same problems. I've had my black polycarb mb since june 2007 and it has been fine until i updated to snow leapord... :/ *pretty irritating*

9. pUREcoin macrumors newbie

I just got a Macbook Pro a few days ago and I have been having problems with Airport as well. My sister has a Macbook and it seems to have no problems with our router. However whenever I use Airport on mine my router's internet signal cuts out and it flashes red. Sometimes it works eventually but it is never permanent. The internet is fine as long as I have an ethernet cable so I know it is something to do with Airport.

10. pUREcoin macrumors newbie

Just figured I'd revive this thread because I still get this issue with my router. Is it possible for the router to be overwhelmed some how?