macbook airport problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chimpboy74, Dec 10, 2007.

1. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi There
    I have wifi at home and recently my macbook will only stay connected to the network if it is connected to mains (regardless of battery power reamining)

why?
    Has anyone else experienced this and can it be fixed?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I had a Sony laptop that had "power saving wifi" - and would decrease radio transmission energy to conserve battery life. (but would only do this on battery - not line) I don't know much about Apple laptops - but look under your energy saver options. See if the hard-drive spin down, or display dimming are connected to your wifi - disable them temporarily and see if your wifi keeps on truckin.

Maybe there is a wifi preference pane that specifies this itself. Dunno.

P.S. Hi, and Welcome to Macrumors.

3. lacarhowa macrumors newbie

airport shuts down when not connected to AC power

Yes, the airport card shuts down if the AC power adapter is removed and it cannot be restarted without a reboot. Changing energy saver options seems to have no effect. Sometimes, the system will even boot up with the airport card in the off condition if the AC is not connected and will require a reboot. The timing seems to be completely random but reboots are required frequently when the airport begins dropping off.

I have seen the airport card shut off just once with the AC adapter connected, after a long period of inactivity (hours).