Macbook Airport problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rd261, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rd261 macrumors regular

I just bought a black macbook last week but my airport card seems to have problems. The thing is that sometimes when Im browsing the internet, the connection seems to drop because websites do not load and itunes wont connect to the store. However, when I check the signal it says that it is connected and the signal is good and everything starts working again. If I dont click on the wifi meter to check it, safari wont load the page at all. It seems to happen randomly and it is not my router's fault because it also happens in school and at my friend's house. This issue is really frustrating because other than that Im perfectly happy with my first Mac ever.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

The signal drop on the MB is actually a pretty well documented problem both here and on the Apple Support pages, I'd suggest a few of things and hopefully they'll help:

1) check out this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=462668

2) download iStumbler and see if you have any nearby routers on the same channel as you and if you do move to a channel that isn't occupied.

3) take a look at other things that are connecting to that wireless point and see what the connection is (i.e. b/g/n) and if they are connecting at different speeds change your router to a static connection instead of auto (so either g or n).

3. rd261 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Im going to try those, but what really preoccupies me is the fact that it also happens with other routers. I went to that link and found that many are still having the problem and there's not a real solution. Do you thin I should take it back to the store since it is still within the 14 days return period? Maybe I could get it replaced.

4. chscag macrumors 68000

If you take it back to the Apple store they may charge you a re-stocking fee even if it's within the 14 day return. They may offer to swap it out for a new one instead.

Regards.

5. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

6. rd261 thread starter macrumors regular

I solved the problem. I had it on a custom power scheme. After I changed it to normal, everything started working fine. I haven't have the problem since yesterday. Now Im perfectly happy with the notebook and so far I think its the best laptop ever!:apple:

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

how did u find out what scheme you had it on? i was messing with the settings last night but didnt remember what i did and i woke up and there was no internet connection

8. rd261 thread starter macrumors regular

Click on the battery icon and there you can select it.