Macbook Airport says connected when connection is dropped

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kerplunkuk, Dec 9, 2008.

1. kerplunkuk macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 2.4Ghz 13.3" model with 2gb ram. It is running OS X 10.5.5

When I connect to a wireless network all is fine, the connection holds while it is being used and I have full signal. If I leave the connection for ten minutes and try and load another page safari tells me it is not connected even though Airport reports it is connected and has full signal.

I am connection to a netgear DG834N router with WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption.

The connection is fully stable as two PC's have been connected to it and active for weeks without any issues.

If I turn off airport and then turn it back on the connection comes back and the same happens if I sleep the mac and turn it back on.

I have made sure that airport it top of network connections and that the network I am connecting to is in the preferred list at the top.

Any help or advice to solve this issue please?

2. rd261 macrumors regular

I had a black macbook that had the exact same problem (the connection was dropped yet it said airport was connected and I had to wait a few minutes for it to come back). I took it to the genius bar within the first two weeks and they just replaced it. The second one had the exact same problem, and they replaced it again. The third one has never dropped the signal once during the past 3 or 4 months. I knew that the problem was not coming from my router because 1. It happened at school and at the Apple store as well, and 2. because my windows laptop was able to connect without problems.

3. kerplunkuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Did they say what caused it, or just put it down as a general fault?

4. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

If a wireless router is PLUGGED IN, as in has POWER, and you are in its range, it will show up in the airport. Signal does NOT mean internet.
    This has been my experience.

5. kerplunkuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that, but I can't figure why the connection is dropped by the mac when its fine on any other system.
    Its clearly an airport problem but I can't figure what.