Macbook Air's Futures or replacement.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ksec, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ksec macrumors 6502a

I didn't notice the huge difference until I had to find a replacement for my dead Macbook Air.

Compared to Lenovo, HP, or ASUS, there are models which are equal or less in weight and dimensions, that offers:

Double Core CPU Cont, Double SSD capacity, 1080P IPS Screen, Same amount of memory.

All for $230 LESS then the entry level Macbook Air.

The Macbook Air is actually using a THREE years old Dual Core CPU from Intel, based on Broadwell, we had Skylake, Kabylake and now Coffeelake. The doubling the CPU core is only a very recent thing, Intel just reacting to AMD Ryzen.

SSD capacity, the last Macbook Air update, NAND prices was still rising, so it has been 8 months now and things are a little better.

Macbook Air not only has a lower resolution screen, it is also the only TN display in Apple's lineup, All Apple's product are IPS ( I think it had VA in or two model some time ago, ).

So while I do expect to paid a premium for Apple's product, or a premium for macOS, this huge difference is a little hard to swallow. Not to mention ~$300 Apple Care if I wanted warranty that matches its competitor's counterparts.

Do you think we will still get $999 Macbook Air update? It seems strange the Apple could cater for wide range of users for iPhone, from SE to X. And yet doesn't give Mac the same treatment, Mini and Air is neglected. Mac users are like the 2nd class citizen in the Apple ecosystem.

Or may be they should rename Macbook Air to Macbook SE and Mac Mini to Mac SE.

2. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

You are just not buying into the system.

By now, Apple expects you to be the owner of that shinning $2,000 MacBook Pro.

What is wrong with you? o_O

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Or maybe the 1200$ MacBook or MBP...

4. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

You will not see another update to the MacBook Air at this point. I mean it could be replaced in March by a new 13” Macbook for all we know. Your points are valid about the difference in the specs and the price and no I wouldn’t purchase one for $1000 at all. I will say however the MacBook Air, for a certain audience is still a decent computer specifically when on a $250+ discount, that they go on and off of from time to time. The optimization of MacOS in means that 2015 Broadwell chip is still more then enough grunt to smoothly run the computer let alone most any program for a student unless your trying to do CAD or intense Premiere work. The design is known to be reliable and sturdy and the USB 3 ports provide people an easy way to simply plug in existing USB cables from my myriad of iOS devices. The battery life is another awesome point that lets you confidently work all day with it. As for the display, its not amazing but its also not terrible. At normal viewing distances your not seeing the lower resolution and the TN panel looks identical to any modern gaming monitor that uses a TN panel. It’s definetly a personal preference it doesn’t bug me, especially when considering the price you can obtain a MBA for when they go on sales.

5. ksec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I could have spend $2000 on Macbook Pro, if I could stand the keyboard... but I cant. The same goes to Macbook as well.

May be the question should actually be if Apple make a Macbook Pro with better keyboard. But currently I dont see MBA and MBP being upgraded to my needs. Sigh

6. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

I may mock but that's exactly how I feel too.

Retina display and better performance are things we really want on the Air but unfortunately, keyboard and ports are taken away. On top of that, there is a premium to pay also.

The more I think about it the less enthusiastic I am about the upgrade path Apple has laid in front of us.

7. R*E macrumors newbie

How do you think Apple can afford to build their new HQ?

8. Pugly macrumors regular

There’s a clear gap in the lineup right now for a consumer laptop from Apple. I think the iPad is what really is the replacement for the $1000 Air unfortunately. I don’t see Apple going back on the ports or keyboards. Perhaps the Air will linger around for those that want these things, like the old non retina MBP.

It’d be nice if Apple refined the 12” MacBook line with a larger model that’s more of a 13” Air replacement.

9. ksec thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am glad I am not the only one. Because other forums would have called me as stupid.

It really wasn't until this keyboard did I realise, I am not trading a worst Keyboard for Retina, lighter or whatever it is.

My company has a few Macbook for us to use, so it isn't something I tried in Apple Store hated it and not buying one.

Added to the unreliable Keyboard may breakdown any time and Apple force me to pay an extra premium to fix it.

10. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I've been considering that for quite some time. I've been exploring alternatives and making general plans for my departure from Apple world should the time come. I'm in no rush to ditch my Apple products (they all still work fine), but when the time comes to replace them, if Apple is still on the same trajectory as they are now, each device will be replaced by a non-Apple alternative.

11. iKeith macrumors member

I just bought (haven't yet received): Apple 13" MacBook Air, 1.8GHz Intel Core i5 Dual Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Mac OS, Silver, MQD32LL/A (Newest Version) on Amazon. ($853.61)

I'm already having buyer's remorse and I haven't even got it yet! I've decided to return the package unopened. I love Apple's OS but they are SO FAR BEHIND in specs while maintaining their egotistical prices.

The only reason I bought the MacBook Air is because I'm comfortable with their OS and I can use a piece of software I like on it. (Scrivener) But is this enough of a reason to shell out this kind of money when I can get more from a $350 Chromebook? The ONLY thing that keeps me from a Chromebook is that I can't use Scrivener.

12. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Please show me a $350 chrome book with more capability then a MacBook Air. Also I agree you overpaid for that MacBook, I’m waiting for it to go back down to $700-$750

13. ksec thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I have said there are lot of option at $800 that offer Double the SSD and Double the Core along with higher Res Screen.

And unless Apple switch Mac away from Intel we are never going to see a $700 Macbook, not even $800. The Chip cost $2xx already.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I'm looking for a Mac laptop with at least 512GB:

1. MacBook Pro. More than I need and above my budget. Can't shake the feeling that the limited ports are an artificial limitation trying to upsell you to Touchbar. It would work for me but its disappointing at this price point. Looking for lower cost in any case.
    2. MacBook. Too minimalist. I'd forever be plugging dongles in and out and I'm sure I would tire of it, although not a deal breaker by itself. I don't need the smallest possible laptop, so it becomes an expensive unit for some lower specs.
    3. MacBook Air. Still expensive but just about right. I'm ok with low res TN screen. But, HEVC is a primary objective. Old chipset doesn't support hardware decoding. Except for that it's about perfect for me. As is, no.

15. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

As things stand, the MBA is still perfect for me, too.

16. icymountain macrumors 6502

I had the first generation of MBAs (introduced in 2007 or 2008, I think), and it was a disaster. Single USB port, with crappy dongles. Screen hinges would break (all the people I knew who had it encountered the issue). Thermal sensors would break, the machine would overheat and come to a crawl. And battery life would be pathetic from day one. Also, batteries would eventually swallow and break the laptop open (I have seen multiple occurrences).

And then came the 2010 form factor that is still sold only in 13" version. Sleek design, plenty of ports, wonderful battery life (maybe since 2012), no overheating problems, available with reasonable CPUs/RAM/SSDs for a very reasonable price, and reliable (again, I have seen quite a few people use these around me, the failure rate has been low, and the computers often live quite long). Currently using a 2015 11" version with great pleasure (along side with a couple of more recent MBPs), especially when travelling.

As of today, the "MacBook retina" seems to me a bit like the old factor MBAs, with not so reliable keyboards, and unique USB-c port (also, I have heard colleagues complain about overheating/crawl issues). It is probably not quite as bad though, but definitely far from perfect. I wish Apple would eventually do to this MBr what they did to the MBA in 2010, and replace it with a reliable and functional form factor laptop, for a more reasonable price. That would be the real "current MBA" replacement. Unless they do that (and do it well), I wish they keep the MBA option as it is (and wish they kept the 11" version too!).

17. Robnsn2015, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018

Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

I agree with this. Much as I love Apple and MacBooks, the current MacBook Air is a travesty (okay, maybe not a travesty - just long in the tooth). I guess they want us to buy the 13 inch MacBook Pro (non-Touchbar) instead.

As an alternative, I just orded a refurbished Dell Latitude 5289 for work for $729. Granted, this is a 2017 model, but it has an Intel Core i& 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD. It also has both USB A and USB C ports. Why can’t Apple give us both ports? Most of all, it is a 2-in-1 with a touch screen. Dear God, Apple! Why can’t you put a basic touch screen on MacBooks?

18. ksec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree that MBA was way ahead of its time. And it only became popular once the price dropped and they introduced the 11", which was the cheapest portable Mac, that was 2010.

At the time, Apple had the Macbook Air, Macbook and Macbook Pro. The clear distinction, if you want an Ultra Portable, you get the Air. If not, you get the Macbook. And Pro gets the Pro.
    Not only that, the spec were a clear cut as well. We had a clear roadmap from Intel, we knew performance will increase, we knew what we have inline. And lots of Screen Size to choose from.

Right now we have a Macbook, 3 years since its introduction, with no major improvement in sight. There will be a 10nm version of the Intel CPU, but it isn't that much better then what we have now. Still two Core, same IPC. Still with that hideous Keyboard that I have another Core JVM developer going to Apple store to get a fix.

19. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Excellent post, and sums up my feelings about the original MBA and the current rMB.

From 2013, when Apple upgraded and improved the battery, the MBA became the best and most consistently reliable computer in Apple's line-up.

Recently, I spoke with a staff member in an Apple store who made the observation that she had worked for some time in Apple repairs, and remarked that the one computer that rarely had to be sent for repairs was the MBA.