Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Okay so decision time is approaching and I think I am going to go with the 1.6 over the 1.8 because the processor speed is meaningless to me and I'd rather save that extra 10-20 minutes of battery life.

Question: Do I go with the SSD or the HDD. Comes out of my expense account. So I am not really paying, but ultimately it limits other office purchases albeit only so slightly.

1. Anyone care to guess how many minutes of battery life I get with an SSD?

2. Anyone care to guess the increase in speed or boot time with the SSD?
(I thought I read in tests it took 45 seconds to boot the HDD version.)

3. Am I naive in assuming that the 1.6 will yield an extra 10-20 minutes of battery life?

4. I assume the saved weight of the SSD is 1 ounce or something like that.

Advice?
3. yes

PS. goto purchase advice board, or MBA board for these information.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Well, according to Engadget: "You can't rip DVDs over the network using a tool like Handbrake."
Who said anything about ripping the DVD over a network? Just rip the file on your main computer and transfer the MP4 file (or VideoTS folder of the actual MacTheRipper goodies) over to your MBAir and watch in either QuickTime or DVD Player… oooh… I wonder if this thing will have a slightly different version of Leopard that doesn't include DVD Player. I doubt it though -- DVD Player allows you to open VideoTS folders so Apple totally knows people have ripped DVDs on their computers and completely allows to play them. Plus it would easy enough to copy the 5MB program over if they did leave it off. I'm sure it would be work.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
I don't need optical media.

Nope, not working. Sorry Steve, I remained unconvinced. Way to deliberately compromise functionality for the sake of monopolizing media content (i.e. iTunes content).

I was like you many years ago when Apple introduced the very first iMac:

I don't need a 3.5" floppy drive.

The rest, they say, is history.

Here we go again. . .

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Who said anything about ripping the DVD over a network? Just rip the file on your main computer and transfer the MP4 file (or VideoTS folder of the actual MacTheRipper goodies) over to your MBAir and watch in either QuickTime or DVD Player

yeah, I agree MBA is a SECONDARY computer.

You can NOT use it alone and expect too much.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Doesn't anyone else besides me wanna know what version of Leopard is on these things?! I'm dying to know if they shipped with 10.5.2 :confused:

My guess is no.

a ~450MB patch of 10.5.2 should be downloaded pretty fast on any high speed internet.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Doesn't anyone else besides me wanna know what version of Leopard is on these things?! I'm dying to know if they shipped with 10.5.2 :confused:
Same here. There's special System Pref panes for the touchpad gestures, so I'm thinking they would've done that with 10.5.2 But seeing as developers where just seeded a build I guess that they have 5.1 just like the rest of us. Someone needs to get us an about this mac pic!

oOOoOoO! Macbook Air commercial on the 52" HDTV. God DAMN that was sexy! :D

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I was like you many years ago when Apple introduced the very first iMac:

The rest, they say, is history.

Here we go again. . .
Pretty lame comparison. It may not have had a floppy drive but it *did* have a CD drive which is simply another form of removable media. :rolleyes:

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
Please don't add built-in 3G

I don't understand all the fuss about the MBA lacking a built-in 3G mobile broadband card. I have a MB with a Blackberry Pearl from Sprint. All I do is make a bluetooth connection and I'm online with pretty decent speeds. I definitely do not want Apple to add in something that'll probably only work with ATT (the WORST cell carrier on the planet!!). All it'll due is take up space and probably consume some power even if it's not in use.

Really, I just don't get all the people whining about this that and the other thing about the MBA!! It's not like they are discontinuing the other laptops. If you want to watch a frickin' DVD, or have a bunch of ports, then get something else and move on with life. My MB is tied to my hip all day and evening. I've probably only used the superdrive 2 or 3 times in the entire time I've owned the 2 MBs that I have (since May 2006). I also cannot think of a time that I've needed more than 1 USB port. Other than occassionally sticking a thumb drive in or attaching my iPod Touch (and if they'd add wireless syncing over wifi, I wouldn't need the USB port for that either).

Someone else had mentioned this elsewhere, but I think the lack of an optical drive on the MBA is somewhat similar to the lack of a floppy drive on the original iMac and may be signaling the end of optical drives altogether. Flash is so cheap now and a thumb drive can store a helluva lot more than a CD. It's only a matter of time before flash is cheap enough and small enough to replace HD media... and it won't oxidize either.

As soon as I figure out whether or not the IRS is going to bend me over this year, I'm getting rid of wifey's MB, giving her mine, and getting myself a MBA.

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
Pretty lame comparison. It may not have had a floppy drive but it *did* have a CD drive which is simply another form of removable media. :rolleyes:

Uh, flash is removable too. Just use a thumb drive... fits in the pocket much better than a CD/DVD, doesn't scratch, doesn't oxidize. Optical drives are heading towards obsolescence.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
That thing (MBA) looks like a freaking space ship!
Gimme 4GB RAM and I'm on that thing like hair on a monkey!:eek:

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Wow... Can't even play DVD's? So if I want to watch a movie on my Macbook Air on the couch, I have to plug in that superdrive and have it sitting there humming next to me? :confused:
Get VLC and point it to the Video_TS folder of a remote disk? Might even work for DVD Player.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Looking forward to hearing about "Air Disk Take 2", when Apple reveals the groundbreaking ability to burn CD's and play music!!! WOOOOOOOW!!!!! :apple:

No, but I am admiring the sexiness of the little gem resting atop the MBA. ;)

Right on, brother! Fits Apple's mantra to the cee: cripple it to keep them craving.

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
The machine isn't that portable if I need to carry around a bunch of little attachments and adapters.

Why does no one understand? If you have to carry around "a bunch of little attachments and adapters" to do what you need, then this model is NOT FOR YOU. Buy a macbook or macbook pro.

Peoples are acting as if they discontinued all of the other macs. Will I be buying one? No, because it doesn't meet my needs. You also won't see me complaining that it doesn't meet my needs, because I know the product wasn't made for my needs right now.

I cracks me up how you all LUST for the newest product, and complain when it doesn't do what you need it to. The only reason you're pissed is because you can't buy the NEWEST model and have to "settle" for one of the other models so you can get things done. It breaks your heart that you won't turn any heads with a MacBook or MacBook Pro, even though you've got all of the functionality you're asking for in those machines. Apple made it clear that the MBA is an ADDITION to the MacBook line, made to fill the needs of the uber-traveller/business person. The other models fill their respective needs as well. Remember the key words here....addition, NOT replacement.

coday182

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2006
Jamestown, IN
Why would Apple include the ability to play DVDs? They just released their shiny new Movie Rental Service....(which I have high hopes for) and they want you to use that. Steve even said in the keynote how they have covered all of the uses for a built in optical drive with other services, except software installation. Which is now covered with this feature. Makes sense to me, and if you are the type of consumer the MacBook Air is designed for, then it should cater to your needs perfectly. Now if you're just someone who buys EVERYTHING mac comes out with, expecting each product to do EVERYTHING you want, then that's another story....

If only more people realized this... I'm sure that Steve has mad love for all of us fanboyz, but he isn't making any proucts specifically for us... atleast for now anyways :)

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Apple made it clear that the MBA is an ADDITION to the MacBook line, made to fill the needs of the uber-traveller/business person. The other models fill their respective needs as well. Remember the key words here....addition, NOT replacement.

So funny!

And highlights the issue...the MBA is a second machine and has LESS features than a MB. Sorry guys, it is just my opinion (of course what else are these posts for if not opinions) but if it has LESS features, it should cost LESS. It doesn't matter what the rest of the world is charging for "ultra portables" especially if it's a second machine.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Who said anything about ripping the DVD over a network? Just rip the file on your main computer and transfer the MP4 file (or VideoTS folder of the actual MacTheRipper goodies) over to your MBAir and watch in either QuickTime or DVD Player… oooh… I wonder if this thing will have a slightly different version of Leopard that doesn't include DVD Player. I doubt it though -- DVD Player allows you to open VideoTS folders so Apple totally knows people have ripped DVDs on their computers and completely allows to play them. Plus it would easy enough to copy the 5MB program over if they did leave it off. I'm sure it would be work.

My God!

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I bought the 1.8 with the SSD. Yup, $3,200 spent on the MacBook Air. And I feel great so far about the purchase and I can't wait to take 3.5 pounds out of my bag when I travel to Asia.

Does it have everything I want?

Basically, yes, with one exception. (I'll even share some of my fears too.)

Why I Bought the MacBook Air

1. It's light and thin. I don't care about the other dimensions since I am not buying a less wide bag. Thin means I can put more books, files, etc. in my bag. This is why THIN matters to global executives.

3. I don't bring DVD or CD's with me on the road.

4. Full sized keyboard and screen. Awesome.

5. CPU speed is more than fine. Remember where we were 3 years ago. I just hope the SSD gets rid of the bottleneck with the hard drive so this is a fast computer overall.

6. I always travel with an Airport Express. (I like to be able to work anywhere in a hotel room.) And for the 1 or two times a year I need an ethernet cable, I bought the dongle. Honestly, this really is not that big of a deal.)

The ONE MAJOR bummer for me:

1. No swappable battery. Yes, I fly business class with power plugs, but there are times when I am giving presentations all day long and I need a second battery. This is a major bummer.

My Fears:

1. Is the GPU powerful enough? I give photo rich presentations with builds and I can't have a computer which lags. I hope this is not the case.

2. Apple quality. We all know Apple's quality has been on a rapid decent in the past few years. Horrifically buggy software, heat issues, fit and finish, displays, etc., etc., etc. After spending so much for a laptop with some known specification tradeoffs, I really will be upset if there are quality issues.

3. Battery life needs to be 5 hours. Apple really needs to stop lying--and it has been lying--about battery life. (When I turn off all wireless, dim the screen all the way, and leave my laptop idle until the battery dies and still only get 70% of Apple's claim, it is lying.) Steve was very clear when he discussed 5 hours of battery life: wireless is on and using office-class applications. I expect this to be the case, and if I have wireless off on the plane, I expect to get a lot more than 5 hours. Again, these lies really hurt the integrity of Apple's brand.

So, I am pleased enough with the MBA specs and trade-offs to buy the top-of-the-line model. If the lack of swappable battery means I have to bring my MBP or if I can't run the presentations seemlessly with no lags between builds, I will sell the MBA and take the loss.

But I for one am hopeful the MBA meets my needs.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
But I for one am very pleased with the MBA and have no buyers remorse yet.

I hope you enjoy your purchase. If you get it soon, please post here your impressions and hands-on experience.

I think a lot of people have the same questions and wonder how this machine performs with the SSD on real world apps.(keynote, photoshop, acrobat, word or pages, mail, itunes, etc.) Battery life with the SSD would also be interesting to know.

Personally I am curious as to the performance of the remote disk and if it is extremely slow loading software from a remote optical disk.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
My Fears:

1. Is the GPU powerful enough? I give photo rich presentations with builds and I can't have a computer which lags. I hope this is not the case.

If the built in x3100 graphics cant handle a powerpoint presentation with lots of still images (and even video - codec dependent) in it then I would be very concerned as it is one of the best inbuilt graphics available on a laptop.

quantumbits

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
So if you have another computer that you are using the drive from. Then surely you would / could just rip your CD or DVD on that computer and simply send the file over to your MBA via your wireless network already ripped. It would probably be a lot faster than trying to rip a DVD or CD wirelessly anyway.

You are not beholden to iTunes at all.

But it wouldn't be faster than popping a DVD or CD into the drive and watching or listening to it, respectively, on the laptop as I bang out some code or a document. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping and zoning out to a particular movie helps me fall asleep. I like to fall asleep in a bed (versus a couch or at a desk), so the laptop is especially handy in these cases.

Second, I don't like to copy optical media that I already own. Its a waste of hard drive space and it unnecessarily prolongs the backup process, which is borderline ritualistic to me.

Third, I don't trust SSDs or even enterprise-level HDDs for critical backups. I've experienced SSD failures well before the published reliability thresholds. HDDs are failure prone because of the mechanical components involved. On the other hand, the lowest bound to which I'm privy for the reliability of a properly etched DVD is 50 years. My wedding photos are all backed up to several DVDs; I wouldn't have it any other way.

In short, I don't think optical media is going the way of the Dodo any time soon. Comparisons with the floppy drive are flawed. By the late 1990's, floppy disks had long been obsolete for the role of backup or software delivery media. Their continued presence was more of a legacy-driven issue (e.g. OS 9 support in earlier variants of OS X).

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I bought the 1.8 with the SSD. Yup, $3,200 spent on the MacBook Air. And I feel great so far about the purchase and I can't wait to take 3.5 pounds out of my bag when I travel to Asia.

Hope it goes well for you. Let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.