MacBook Alarm that sounds when picked up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amirite, Nov 10, 2009.

1. amirite macrumors 6502a

Is there a simple utility that will sound an alarm (through the Macbook/Macbook Pro's speakers) when the MacBook is picked up?

I was just playing around with Seismac (http://www.suitable.com/tools/seismac.html) and realised that this would be possible, and very simple for somebody who knew what they were doing, so I figured there must be something like this.

Unfortunately a Google search found nothing :(

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The program you're after is called iAlertU. It has a motion detector alarm, and also goes off if the computer is unplugged, a button is pushed, etc. Very handy.

3. takamine macrumors member

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

is there an app that can take a picture of the person that opens my computer...and email it to me...

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Works fine on 10.6.1 on my MBP...

iAlertU has that functionality built in. I could never get it to work properly on my old machine running Tiger, have not tested it on SL. But I suggest downloading the software (it's free) and playing around with it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Weird; doesn't work on my MacBook Air. Maybe I did something wrong.

If it does work, then that's the best solution since it's very good and it's free. You can use the Apple remote to turn the alarm on and off.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

iAlertU uses the Sudden Motion Sensor to detect movement... I'm not sure if the Air has a SMS. I can see the SSD-equipped Airs lacking one, at least.

*shrug*

If that's not the case, weird.

9. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Thanks, I never knew of this one, Ill have to look into it.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Try Lockdown its pretty neat. You can set it with your remote like a car if you want. You can also set it to send a picture of who tried or did take your mac to your email. I dont use it a whole lot but its pretty neat.