Macbook Alu 2.4ghz Screen replacement need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bigjee, Jan 17, 2009.

1. bigjee macrumors member

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to know from someone who has had their LCD screen replaced on their MB's as to whether they had the data wiped of their hard drive after they got it back?

I don't want to loose my data and am also to lazy to back it up.

I was kinda wondering how there would be absolutely no need to wipe/format your HDD especially if you're just changing the LCD display.

Also I have the 9c89 screen LG phillips and it has a defect in it (its not bad pixel just seems like a smudge. and that's why I want to have the screen replaced. I showed it to a genius and he said they could change it for him)

So the second question is should I wait for another revision of the screen to come out or should I get it changed right now?

Thanks in advance.

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Your data will be there, nothing needs to be done to your HD to replace the screen... but dammit, backup your stuff man. If it's even remotely important, backup. Laptop hard drives are not the most reliable things in the world.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

+1 for the backup. When that day comes when you see the startup folder with the flashing question mark, you will want your backup to be handy :p

4. bigjee thread starter macrumors member

thanks. I have a backup using Time capsule and Winclone but I'm worried if I would have to install bootcamp all over again.

I mean if its just for the backup then I'm fine but if apple deletes the data thne I might not get it fixed just yet.

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Back up your windows side too if you keep important data there... but anyhow, you'll be fine.

6. bigjee thread starter macrumors member

What do most people use to backup Windows?

Do you guys save an image of the partition on the OSX side?

What programs do you use?

7. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Never send a computer in for repair with the harddrive in the machine, unless it's a harddrive issue it's going in for. They have stock drives they pop in for repair purposes. It's only one screw to remove from a Macbook aluminum. Otherwise I would backup. Use Carbon Copy Cloner and an external drive, or backup over a network. You can also use Time Machine, but if something goes wrong, make sure you have your install disks. Removing the drive is the better option. They won't guarantee your data. I wouldn't take the chance.