MacBook Alu alternative charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenn, Jan 10, 2009.

1. kenn macrumors member

Can one charge a MacBook Alu by other means than the MagSafe power adapter? Perhaps some method using the USB slots?

2. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

No.
    Why would you want to?

You can take the battery out and charge it directly without using the MagSafe, with the use of a battery charging / conditioner dock.

3. OPsDad macrumors member

Just what I need!!!

I just looked at this post, and went to look for it without success. Linkage, please?

Many thanks!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can only charge with the MagSafe (unless you want to charge the battery directly with the FastMac battery charger).

5. OPsDad macrumors member

Nothing to help me!

Did more searching. There is nothing for the Unibody 15 MBP. Right?

Oh, well. Sigh.

6. kenn thread starter macrumors member

Magsafe clones?

How about Magsafe adapter clones? Do they exist? If so, are they a real option? I'm thinking in terms of correct and stabile power supply etc. etc..

7. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Why do you need a "clone"? What happened to your current Magsafe adapter? If you need another one, just pick one up off Ebay. Just be sure to get the correct wattage etc...

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It seems odd that Apple never release a desktop charger for spare batteries... it's a pain having to charge your first battery, then take it out and put in your second battery to charge it up. It'd be nice to have a desktop cradle that you could put your empty batteries into and then pick them up once they're done.

9. kenn thread starter macrumors member

Personally my problem is that I work in an environment with loads of people. Many Mac users among them. I leave my MacBook several times during a normal workday. Now that the MagSafe is kind of pricy for a freaking charger, you soon grow tired of seeing your charger dissappear like fog from the sunlight. It would be nice with a cheap, convenient and dispensable charger, like you have for mobile phones.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i agree, having to wait twice as long for the batteries to charge is the biggest pain in the butt.!

11. McTired macrumors newbie

It ain't cheap, but works for me.
    I have a Kensington that I got from Mike Gyver <sp with a Magsafe cord adapted to it. It could be used in a car, wall, or airoplane, ( I have not done the airoplane yet) but if you took the charger to work and disconnected the magsafe chord from it when you leave, it might not disappear and you could charge on the way to or from work in your car.

I got it for its versatility since I can use it to charge my windows laptop or the MacBook as it comes with adapters for many laptops.

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It doesn't help that the Unibody MBPs take an age to charge... my previous first-gen MacBook Pro charged fairly quickly in comparison :(

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh do they really?? my first-gen CD MBP takes about 2-3 hours to fully charge.. so its a good 5 hours round trip for both batteries haha

14. kenn thread starter macrumors member

Good idea! I just don't think they are easy to find used. Not even on Ebay. Like to hear from some with experience with clones. They are about as cheap as a used. Also, I hear rumours that a universal charger has been made that also supplies power for MacBook Alu?

15. kenn thread starter macrumors member

16. kenn thread starter macrumors member

I stand corrected! There are tons of them on Ebay.co.uk.