MacBook Alu Boot-Time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RSignals, May 5, 2009.

1. RSignals macrumors newbie

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here and just need a little help.
    I bought my new MacBook Alu., 2GHz, 2GB Ram, with OSX 10.5.6 about 5-6 weeks ago, and was pretty astonished about how long it takes for the thing to boot-up. Approx. 60-70 seconds (just over a minute).

My old MacBook (white), with 1,8GHz, 1,25GB Ram, and Tiger, took about only half the time. (About the same number of Apps on both notebooks)

Is this boot-up time of about 1 minute normal, or should I contact Apple Service?

Thanks in advance++

2. viperguy macrumors 6502

Mine boots a lot faster, so maybe there's something wrong with yours I guess :confused:

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

4. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

As long as it boots and no dialogue boxes pop up telling you something is wrong, don't worry about it.

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Secondary click your Macintosh HD on the desktop. On the selection, choose "Get Info." Could you please post your capacity, available and used space? I am assuming that you have the standard 5,400RPM drive?

6. hohohong macrumors 6502

Mine's the same as OP. 56 sec from the time I push power. My MBP stock 2.66 took 47.

7. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Just tested mine, took 1 minute, 32 seconds from the moment I pushed the power button until my OS finished loading my menubar icons.

That seems like a long time. :( 'Sup with that?

UB Macbook 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM Seagate HD

Edit: Just tested my MBP 2.0 Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200RPM HD, and it was usable after 56 seconds.

8. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Mine takes 38 seconds, Alu 2.4Ghz 2GB of RAM. I have used 20GB.

9. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

So should I be concerned with my boot time, considering my under spec-ed, 3 year old Macbook Pro beats it by nearly half the time?

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Mine takes under 40 seconds and I have tons of software installed / files on the drive.

32 seconds? Definitely not.

11. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I suppose my original post wasn't clear, it took 1 minute AND 32 seconds, 1:32 to boot, whereas my MBP only took 56 seconds. This seems alarming, and where it spends most of it's time booting is at the plain light grey screen(before the Apple logo appears), once the apple logo appears, it finishes everything else up rather quickly.

I've got 216GB free on my drive. I have iStat, iTunes helper, bytecontroller, ifreemem, USBoverdrivehelper, and Geektool in my login items - not really any heavy duty programs or anything.

I mean, what would I even say to the Genius? "My computer runs just fine but takes a long time to start up." I imagine they'd look at me like I'm crazy.

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

mine takes 43 seconds to boot up, loading quicksilver, caffeine, dockspaces, growl, and of course iTunes Helper/CrossOver CD helper

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think it makes a difference how much free HDD space you have, if you have a lot of items set to start at login, and also, if you have done any visual tweaks to your OS.
    I've seen mine get slightly longer after I'd had it for a couple of months.

14. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I see. I was confused because you said 32 seconds before. In my opinion that boot time you described is not normal.
    I have a 250GB HD with candybar installed and running, iStats on startup as well as ejector and CoconutWifi, what's more I only have about 110 gigs left on my 2.0Ghz macbook and it takes nowhere near a minute to boot.

I don't want to scare you or anything, and that kind of boot time can be lived with well, especially since macs sleep well (or better than windows).

15. Beaverfish macrumors regular

My Unibody MBP boots in about 42 Seconds. However it's worth noting that I can take longer to boot, if you have removed the battery, or if you installed updates before you shutdown.

16. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

So I reinstalled the stock 160GB HD and it now boots to the OS, with everything loaded and ready to run, in 51 seconds.

I forgot that I also have iLeopard installed, some tweaks with CandyBar, Growlhelper, etc.

So do you guys think my boot time is more dependant on drive speed or on free space? There was plenty of free space on the 320 drive, and it was supposed to be 7200 RPM, but this one outperforms it with no problem. Weird.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

My unibody MB boots in 20 seconds.

But that might have something to do with the Vertex SSD :D

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Like posted earlier, if it boots up with no errors don't worry about the startup time. I don't think there's even a right/wrong or a certain amount of time for startups. For my MacBook Pro, sometimes it will take 30-40 seconds while other times it might take up to a minute which is perfectly fine. Of course if you have a SSD, it will fly during startup.

19. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I don't have a unibody, but my white Macbook will boot in less than 40 seconds (usually middle 30's). My sister DOES have a unibody, though, and she recently complained to me that it was being sluggish - both in boot and in general usage. Hers was taking upwards of a minute to boot (about 75 seconds, IIRC) - all I did was clean out all the caches and repair disk permissions (I used Cocktail) and her boot time dropped back to around 32 seconds and programs started opening as they should.

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Don't those programs just execute scripts that OS X does daily, weekly, and monthly on its own anyway?

21. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yes but if you go ahead and clear a lot of the cache, and do the monthly scripts more often everything is snappier

22. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

i have an aluminum macbook 2.0 standard config

the first times i had my macbook without music or noting i tooked about 30 sec now with music fotos video office 08 it takes about 40 sec still prettty fast

23. RSignals thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Boot Time

Thanks everybody for your great response.
    Judging from all the answers, I guess I'll stick it out.
    My new MacBook does seem to be in the upper time level, but as a few of you said, I can live with it.
    Thanks again for the help++
    ----------
    MacBook Pro 2,16GHz, MacBook Uni 2,0GHz + white MacBook 1,86GHz

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Check your partition scheme to make sure it's GUID.