Macbook Alu brightness related buzzing noise

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radionickhead, Jun 1, 2009.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

Ever since the 10.5.7 update I've been getting issues with my macbook, this a new one..I've looked around google for any other similar incidents and there have been but none with a solution so I figured I would ask here..
    At random times my screen starts making noise, I say my screen because if i dim the brightness to zero it stops, and the brighter i get the higher the pitch , the lower brightness - lower pitch..
    This is extremely bizarre, anyone else experiencing anything similar?
    any solutions?
    thanks

2. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

call applecare??

3. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

I would suspect that it is not really related to the update at all but is simply a coincidence. It sounds like you have a bad power supply aka you have a hardware problem. I would make sure to get this fixed as it may signal an impending failure.

4. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

No one else has heard of this?
    I called apple care and they swapped me around technicians who didnt seem to communicate between themselves and I had to re-explain everything and I'd be suprised if the technician understood what I said at the end..

5. sypher macrumors newbie

I got it!
    Was wondering what it was, when i found this thread.

I tried first to download "QuietMBP", but the disclaimer of that program clearly stated that it was not a program for this kinda problem, and stated that Apple knows about this, and that its caused by a supposedly faulty inverter.

I'm going to call Apple now and see what they gonna do for it.

6. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't update the thread as no one seemed interested. But I went to the apple store on saturday and told them about this..I told the genius there were others in forums having a problem with this, and that it could be the inverter or what not(what I picked up from the forums). I left my macbook there, I got a call at night saying that these screens dont have inverters, and they heard no audible buzz(I told them it was at random times). But they replaced my screen anyway, and so far no problems.
    (I should mention, they had my macbook ready the following morning-I gave it in at 6p.m) - so , awesome.
    and no charges as its under warranty. From what I know there is no "fix" for this, it has nothing to do with the processor idle speed or opening photobooth or anything.

7. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That's gotta be frustrating :3 Replace the whole unit!

9. jomourad macrumors newbie

i know this post is OOLLDD but i'm having the same issue!

It seemed to go away, and recently i changed my memory and it started again...

What did you do to fix it??

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I don't know. I've had the issue since January 2009. It doesn't happen that often. Obviously the MB isn't going to explode or have "impending failure".