Macbook Alu CD Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Samslice12, May 22, 2009.

1. Samslice12 macrumors member

Hey,

I got my Macbook Alu a few weeks ago and I'm extremely happy, except for one thing, whenever I wake up the computer from sleep, the CD drive makes a kind of sound like it's loading a disc, and it's very loud. Is this normal? I don't think I've heard it on any other Macbooks.

Also, whenever I move the computer around, I can hear a scratching sound from the Hard Drive.

Are these two things normal?

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your ODD is checking for a disk and your HDD is moving its heads so that you don't break it by moving it.

Normal.

3. Samslice12 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to make the CD drive not to check for a disk on waking up?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Why exactly do you want to stop it? Nothing's broken, it's designed to do that. You'd be doing more damage by trying to modify it.

5. Samslice12 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I just would rather that it didn't make that sound. I'm not desperate enough to do anything drastic though. I just figured if there was something easy then, why not?

6. challiman macrumors member

Mine doesn't make that noise

My MacBook is 3 weeks old today and doesn't make that noise.
    Also, yesterday at the Apple Store I was told that I made a mistake by moving and driving two hours with it in sleep mode. I never even thought about that. They said I should shut it down and wait a few moments before moving it.
    I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but apparently moving it around during sleep mode is not a good idea.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

As said, the optical drive sound on wake is totally normal. I believe some (not all?) slot-load optical drives do this automatically when powered up, probably in case a disk was stuck in while it was off. Since the drive gets power cut when it's put to sleep, it makes a noise upon wake.

challiman: That suggestion is flat-out bizarre. Moving it while it's awake could damage the drive due to jolts (which, like Tallest Skil said, is probably why it's making noise when Samslice12 moves it), but I'd bet money that 99% of people with a laptop move them while asleep, and I can think of NO way that could damage it. Certainly, regardless of what the Apple Store person said, I have never once seen a manufacturer (or other) recommendation not to move it while sleeping.

You should let it go completely to sleep first (since it writes the contents of RAM to disk upon sleep in case it loses power), and I suppose if it somehow woke up accidentally while sleeping in a closed bag it could overheat, but that's it.