Macbook(Alu) & External display.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brikeh, Nov 22, 2008.

1. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

2. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

3. eddy808 macrumors newbie

I first was using mini dp - dvi and didn't have any problems like this. I then exchanged it to a mini dp - vga and started having the screen blacking out every so often. I would also get white streaks across the screen from time to time like thin static. So I changed it back to minidp-dvi and I have no problems again.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Nothing like that. I do sometimes have the jumping cursor when I've got my external display, keyboard and MM hooked up to my uni MBP.

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've got the flickering issue when my Macbook wakes up from sleep mode. I need to take the display port cable out and then re-insert it - works fine then.

6. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

But you have a MBP right? Are you using the better gpu when connected to your external display?

It seems not everyone is having this problem which sucks and probably means its hardware rather than software so I guess I have to bring mine in, first the slanted keys now this.

Here we go again :(

7. ryanfong macrumors member

No problems at all of my 2.4 Alu MacBook.

Using Mini-Display to DVI adapter..1680x1050 LG 20' external display..

Works absolutely fine...touch wood.

8. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Alu MB 2.0 model, use mDP to DVI to dell monitor 1920x1080, no problems.

9. brikeh thread starter macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Thanks guys, I just dropped mine off at my local Apple reseller. Hope theyre quick about it.

10. ryanfong macrumors member

Good luck matey..

BTW what's the size of your external display? and what's the biggest resolution?

11. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Glad it's not just me :)

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, I'm gonna talk to applecare about this. Glad it's not just me, either. Hopefully, this is a software fix...

13. dbowen123 macrumors newbie

Already talked to Apple

I talked to Applecare about the flickering display and I was told that as the NVIDA 9400 GE chip is new, drivers do not yet exist to support some types of monitors. However, the following is the response I got in a follow up email.

Hello David Re:flickering on external display This is what I have from engineer " Apple has received reports of the symptom you describe and is currently investigating. Keep your software up to date using Software Update. You may also want to check the knowledge base from time to time for possible updates about this issue ".

14. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but that's utter tripe. I have this issue and I'm using an Apple ACD 20in if they claim it's because there is a no driver for that yet apple need shooting!

It's a driver issue with the nVidia card or a hardware issue. Thankfully it only seems to happen a couple of times a week so I can wait out the fix.