Macbook alu gotten a lot hotter recently?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daniel.ord, Jan 9, 2009.

1. daniel.ord macrumors member

Hi all,

I mroogled for instances of the same issue, only found one from Oct., hope it's ok with a new post.

Have a quick question about the temp's of the alu Macbook.

The first few months I never heard my fans, and now they seem to run between 3k and 5k all the time (iStat)? They used to run below 2k.

The CPU and heatsink temp's are about 79C, after running FF with like 2 tabs and Word - happens very quickly. Should I be worried? I know Macs run hot, but though these new ones were a lot better?

Dust and stuff could of course be an issue, but I treat my notebooks quite well, and only use them for uni work. Have a desktop at home. No cosmetic difference.

I actually have a very slight bulge in the middle, at the back. Scrapes along the table when moving it about. That's been there the whole while though...

Thanks for any input.

2. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

I'd be worried. Heat is early death for a notebook. How hot is it to touch? Can you put it in your lap without dying? Mine runs very cool. I think one of the recent firmware updates might have sped fans up a notch. You could have a bad fan.

3. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

Try a SMC and PRAM reset first, and see if it still gets hot.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Have you tried looking at Activity Monitor? It could be as simple as a process running up your CPU... Look and see if there is anything suspicious in there.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If there's nothing wrong in software, hit up the genius bar. It may be a hardware issue, like the thermal paste wasn't applied properly on the CPU's heat sink, causing poor heat dissipation.

The firmware updates did nothing to the baseline fan speeds. Mine still idle at 2000rpm, and never go above that in regular internet/movie/music usage.

6. finnschi macrumors 6502

my macbook alu runs VERY COOL 1510rpm fans Cpu 56C and the highest 57C on Heatsink A :eek::eek::eek::apple::apple:

7. daniel.ord thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked my activity monitor and found FF to be using a lot more of everything than anything else. Tried reinstalling that (something must have gone wrong with a plug-in or something?) and at the moment I'm down to about 50C and 2000 rpm - very pleased! Never seen anything like that before. Hoping that's cured it for now.

New to Macs, so I'm kinda learning how to troubleshoot on them :rolleyes: