macbook alu Hardrive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Jan 22, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

i have a new macbook aluminum and it came with the standard 250GB HDD. it use to be quiet, and after reinstalling leopard once the think wont shut up..its constantly grinding and humming away, and the only thing im doing is on safari. Even when im just at the desktop with no other programs running its constantly making noises..should i be worried?

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

do you have time machine running or any external hard drives attached? is anything being indexed? the magnifying glass will have a dot in the middle of it if it is.

3. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

no time machine, no external drives, and no indexing whatsoever..like i said i have nothing running at all. except for safari of course..ive had the computer since december now and up until last week it was dead quiet..now its always making these noises:confused:

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Umm, it's defective. Do a backup immediately and go to the Apple Store/Call Apple.

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

When did you re-install Leopard? Maybe the drive is still being indexed for Spotlight et al.

I say let it idle over night, let it do it's thing. If in the morning, after a reboot, it's still being a punk, take it to an Apple Store.

7. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

well heres the thing, i bought it from best buy, and we only have apple certified technicians in my city, so i just take it to one of them or what?

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hmm ... maybe call Apple?

tell them the situation (that you've had it checked once, re-formatted and still the problem persists) and they'll let you know what the next steps are.

9. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

well i phoned apple, and told them what was happening and they said to go to the certified technician and get the HDD replaced. so i suppose thats what im gonna do:cool: