Macbook Alu start up time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ice00, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ice00 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I don't understand why my Alu takes "so much time" to start: 38s in my new Alu 2.4 with a Hitachi 7k200 and 25s in my old white Core2Duo 2.0 with the same drive!!! Someone is having the same problem? Isn't 38s too much? How can be so much slower than the old one? Could you please tell me if your Alus have the same "problem".
    Thank you very much, Carlos

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

may be the machine is doing some spotlight indexing in the background. you shouldn't (and don't need to) reboot your mac often anyway so it doesn't matter.

3. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

4. ice00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it's really fast but I don't understand why is so much slower than my old white one. Is it normal?

5. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

Yeah when I got it I was thinking "Why does this machine start up in about the same time as my 5+ year old DELL DESKTOP!?" Hmm...it doesn't really matter I guess, but it's still odd.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I'd think that given the differences in the hardware between the current and past generations (chipset, video graphics), the number and version of drivers are likely to be very different. The most important thing is, the ~40s boot time seems to be the norm for the aluminum MB. So you have nothing to worry about - definitely nothing's wrong with your system.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

One thing you could do...

I noticed a quicker boot time (and cold app launch time) using a 7200 rpm drive (WD Scorpio Black).

8. ice00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you tell me how long does it take you from pushing the button to connecting to the net? Thanks a lot

9. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Obliviously we are in the first generation of a new motherboard and new ram, so obliviously the drivers aren't as performing as the one that got enhanced over time in the plastic models. I'm sure when apple release new drivers we will get better performance.

10. mark7201 macrumors newbie

i noticed the same issue with the macbook startup time vs my 1st gen macbook pro, not that big of an issue for me. at least i know its normal now :D

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

For the aluminum MBs with SSDs installed, the reported boot time was averaging < 30s. See mine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6CkrZKOJo I would imagine the 7200rpm HDD coming in very close to (or slightly longer than) this.

12. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Mine (Alu 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200 Western Digital Scorpio Black drive) takes about 30 seconds to startup in Mac OS X. And 1 minute 5 seconds to startup in Windows Vista. :eek:

In comparison, my 867MHz Powerbook G4 took around 45 seconds to startup in Panther.

13. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

14. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Have you tried booting into XP?
    I installed it on bootcamp last night and it literally takes 8 seconds to go from power on to the fully loaded windows desktop.

Max specs on the MBP do help a little :p
    Into OSX is about 30 seconds, still MILES faster than my old Vista notebook.